SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guoxiaotian

My south facing wall border change plan, reasonable?

guoxiaotian
5 years ago

Hi experienced gardeners,

Gardening newbie here.

I am in PNW (zone 8) and have a 24'x4' border against a south facing garage wall, shown in picture below.

I'd like to make some changes to it -

- Remove the Conifer on the left - it's not doing well there. Backside of it is an eye sore from my kitchen door.

- Remove the magnolia tree on the right. It was planted 1 foot from the wall, and I think it's not the right tree for this place. In the past year I have seen it grew many flower buds but I have only seen one actually bloomed.

- Replace the Conifer with a hydrangea, like 'Endless Summer or Nikko Blue', I have no experience with them but that spot get about 3+ hours morning sun and protected from afternoon sun. (could circulation be a problem? )

- Replace the magnolia with 3 Peonies. The spot gets 6 hours of sun around the blooming season.

- Add some bulbs (Tulips) in front of the Peonies and some Alliums between them, to add early colors and some dimension.

Does this plan look reasonable? One potential problem is that I am replacing 2 evergreens with deciduous shrubs, but during winter to early spring the yard will get very little use due to wet weather.

Another issue I am having trouble is the wall under roof overhang - I want to add some vine but don't think any flowering vine would grew well there.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

-X.T.

Comments (4)