SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decor84me

Help with Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids Information

Dragonfly8
5 years ago

Hello ,

I have been a lurker for many years and trust the wonderful knowledge you all have attained through living life.

Just wondering if any of you can help me (and my husband) regarding hearing aids. We both suffer from Meniere's Disease which is an inner ear disease that ultimately causes hearing loss. After many years of suffering with tinnitus, vertigo, headaches and noise sensitivity, it was finally diagnosed for both of us in our right ears about 10-14 years ago. We have now gotten to the stage where hearing loss is more prominate and is a problem for our everyday living.

In 2008 I purchased a ReSound hearing aid through my ENT's office at a local University Medical Hospital. It worked 'ok' but I was annoyed by the loudness of the background noise and was never sure that we got the programing correct. A few years later my hearing seemed to get better (the trickiness of the disease) and I stopped wearing it.

I believe it is time again to look at getting hearing aids and would like your help in determining which brands you would recommend we look at based on experience. The technology has changed for the better in the past ten years and I don't necessarily want to be tied into the brands and models my ENT has to offer. I understand that I would need to get a hearing test (at my doctor's office a few months out for an appointment) and would like to gather as much information as I can. At the time I purchased my ReSounds I felt under pressure to get them without fully understanding what my options were and what my lifestyle required.

My life is quiet and I spend a great deal of time alone or in quiet pursuits such as hiking, reading, traveling. Although I do not like the hustle and bustle out in the world, I have noticed that I am more withdrawn and am aware that I may be missing out on some things. (Not always a bad thing) We have noticed that our choice of restaurants is determined by how noisy it is vs how good the food is. Coffee shops with their coffee grinding machines is a definite no-go! I would like to be able to hear softer voices of people for one-on-one conversations vs trying to hear through the crowds.

We are Costco members and have seen that we can get a free hearing test but does that tie us into purchasing from them? What were the steps you took to choose? Please let me know about the pros and cons with hearing aids, where you purchased them and what did you look for in what the different brands and models provided (as in number of programs and battery vs charging ability), what do you wish you had done, asked or anticipated? What type of maintenance is required?

I have searched the GardenWeb forums and I could not find any current discussions on hearing loss and hearing aids which surprised me. Thank you for any information or direction you can give me. I appreciate it.

Comments (26)