SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_greco

Kitchen Reveal for 1920 traditional townhouse

J G
5 years ago

I am grateful for the help that we received on gardenweb on designing our new kitchen, and I also like the reveal threads, because they are often more budget friendly and work around more real issues than the photos on Houzz.

I would especially like to thank benjisbride for her help in explaining layout choices to me.

My first getting started thread, when we were ditching the first design and build firm and deciding if we needed an architect (we used a structural engineer to design the beam but decided to skip the architect): https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinets-for-traditional-kitchen-with-9-ceilings-and-getting-started-dsvw-vd~4692891

My layout thread: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4740995/need-kitchen-layout-help

and our thread where I was convinced to do a hardwood floor rather than ceramic tile: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5084761/blue-pearl-granite-for-a-1920s-house-with-cherry-cabinets  After making this decision, everything else came together nicely.

We were working with a lot of constraints, and the layout changed some after the layout thread:
-We are in townhouse, and the shared wall is in the kitchen (along where the fridge is now)

-There was a three story chimney that is currently in use by the hot water heater and would have been expensive to remove

-We are under covenant in a historic district, which means that doors and windows must be approved (simulated divided lights wood windows only)

-Our backyard backs up to the yards of mansions, so if someone wants to spend a lot of money on a house there are plenty to choose from so we needed a prudent budget

-A significant motivation for redoing the kitchen was to remove all knob and tube wiring and fuses from the kitchen (their was a fuse box in the kitchen in addition to the 200 amp fuse box in the basement), and have proper heating and cooling on the first floor (we installed central air on the first floor, and added a radiator to the kitchen which previously had no heat). We also removed all knob and tube wiring from the first floor and we now have three pronged outlets, and replaced the steal pipes to the second floor bathroom, and we are replacing some cutters. We did all this and stayed under our 100K budget.

Shared Wall with adjacent unit:

Problems:
The pole light on the right provides the only light in the kitchen

It is in front of a chimney

The window to the outside is slightly visible on the left, and also on the left is a door to the covered porch. When the door is opened, you hit the person working at the stove. There is only minimal space on the sides of the stove for cooking activity.

Problems:

The doorways do no line up and create congestion problmes
Note the only three pronged outlet in the kitchen and the old fashioned under counter light next to it.

Problems:

The fridge was in this separate room, which had no insulation or heat. Sometimes it would actually be below fridge temp in this room. Only a counterdepth fridge could be moved into this place, and everytime someone opened the fridge door, the pantry was blocked. The door the living room is on the left of the picture There is a covered porch behind the outdoor door, that is as deep as the pantry.

Comments (25)