SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swblevins94

Alternative owner builder financing.

swblevins94
5 years ago

Hi, I am a 24 year old from Kentucky and am in the process of trying to build a house on my property. Problem is, even the small banks around here have a very tedious process for owner builders looking for a construction loan, and they only loan 75-80 percent. Ive been thinking of some alternative financing to get this house built. It is 1500 sq ft roughly with an unfinished walkout basement. Taking a rough number of $120/sq ft, it should cost me around 180,000 to build this house. I have 64K in cash, 80k in 401k investments that I can borrow 50% of, and roughly 70K of equity in my land. If I combined 60k cash with a 40k loan from my 401k, and find a land equity loan for around 35% of my equity (24k), and a 35k personal loan from discover, I can scrouge up roughly 160,000. Using the payment calculators, all the payments together would accumulate almost 1,500 am month. If I refinance my land for what I owe, it would add 170 for a total of 1670 a month while I am building. I think I could come up with the other 20k working overtime for the next year or two. But I may be able to get a better deal with contractors since I will be able to write them a check. After the house is built, I plan to get a home equity loan and pay off all the other loans. Has anyone financed their house builds in unconventional ways, or have any input on what I am thinking?

Comments (18)