SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossannearii

Have to leave my plants for two months!

So I just accepted a paid gig to go housesit for the summer. The money is good, the responsibilities light, and I'll pretty much have until August to write uninterrupted. The problem is, it's in Dallas, and the distance between there and Houston is such that it's not really practical even to visit, at least not on a grad student budget.

I gave my neighbor in the same lot 100 bucks to see them through until July and then check in how she feels about it for the rrst of the summer. Do y'all think that's enough? I have five roses in their first season, one hibiscus almost a year in my care, and the adopted orphan peanut. The roses are all getting kinda monstrous and two are taller than me:

I just topped them off with some extra potting medium, bloodmeal, and mulch (since they seem to have eaten a couple inches' worth of what was in their pots). My neighbor has instructions to water them with two gallons each about every other day, if not every day, and to give them fish emulsion weakly, weekly, or a full dose biweekly. The pests aren't too terrible with the wasps and dragonflies and spiders helping out, and there's no sign of blackspot or mildew on them so far. We even went over an emergency hurricane protocol-- basically push them up against the outside wall of the house and hope for the best. I'll ask her to deadhead next I see her. They won't get the same attention as they do with me, but do y'all think that's as much care as they would need for two months?

I'm also just bummed I won't get to see my roses in all their summer glory. Especially now that they're bigguns!

I'm going to miss these monsters so much :-(

How do y'all deal with having to leave your gardens?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting