SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emileeg

Raised beds - planting in about a month or two

emileeg
13 years ago

I'm new to gardening and have sooooo many questions...!

My husband and I just built a new raised bed (always wanted raised beds!), and may build another this weekend... and now we are faced with filling it. We live in Dallas, so besides sitting on clay, I'd rather not have to deal with fighting grass back... which is why we went with raised beds. It's 6'x4'x1', and if we build another it'll be identical.

I'm planning on growing veggies starting in mid-March or maybe early April. Nothing strange - tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, green beans, etc.

My question is this - we're trying to fill the beds as cheaply as possible without sacrificing too much on soil quality... since we have about two months before we're actually looking at planting, should we go buy dirt, or should I give this "lasagna" method I keep reading about a try? We have plenty of compost-able stuff. We moved in in December and the previous residents left us a yard FULL of leaves, plus I always have veggie scraps leftover from the kitchen, plus newspaper, plus sawdust from husband's woodworking...etc., etc. I'm new to composting, so I have no idea how long it would take.

I am definitely open to any suggestions or alternatives... I keep seeing compost in the garden bed, mixing topsoil, peat, and compost, use what you've got... Just not sure what our best option is!

and if necessary, we can just run down to Strong's and buy some bulk dirt. Thanks!

Comments (9)