SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Avoiding Root Rot When Transplanting to Gritty Mix

When I buy new succulents, they typically come from the nursery in a soil mix that is peat moss and pumice. I have lately started an experiment where I get two of the same plant. I put one of these into a new peat moss mix (30% peat, 40% Turface, and 30% lava rock) and the other into gritty mix (4 parts Turface, 3 parts bark, and 2 part stone). I bare root the plants before putting them into the new soil.

What almost always happens is that the plant that goes into the new peat mix thrives, almost instantly. I can water it right away and I have no problems with root rot (so far).

The plants that go into gritty mix show signs of stress right away. If I do not water them they start to lose shape and look like they might be in a mild transplant shock (nothing a succulent cannot handle but there are signs there that something is not healthy). If I water them - and particularly if I water them when I plant them - they often get root rot. Then I have to sever roots and it is a long and difficult recovery process.

My question is what can I do to improve my chances when bare-rooting a succulent and planting it into gritty mix?

The plant on the left in the following photo is in a peat moss mix and the plant on the right is in the gritty mix. The right side of the gritty mix plant has become limp and I can already tell the base is loose and wiggling and is coming down with rot.

Comments (17)