SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nabeyaki7

Fiddle leaf fig - weird roots and how to manage?

Hello Kitty
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just potted up my fiddle leaf fig on April 20th 2018 (from 10" to 14" grow pot). The ficus was pretty root bound (you can see in the photo) so I mashed up and untangled the root ball and potted up in new soil I got from the local nursery.

Root bound 10" from April 20 just before potting up:

root bound ficus 10” grow pot · More Info

Current status: I don't see any dropped leaves or changes in the leaves, so it's presumably tolerating the transplantation ok. To be honest, I've basically neglected the ficus after potting up due to work/travel. Came home today and noticed a few new leaves which is encouraging.

Found three new leaves before its shower:

My Seattle Condo · More Info

More new leaves:

Problem and question: I found all these (new?) roots circling the perimeter already, and it's only been one month since potting up. I think some roots are even grabbing onto the moss I put on top of the soil, which didn't happen previously in the old grow pot. I hope this isn't a sign of a problem (bad soil? not enough water? too much water? too much neglect?). I leave the country again in a few hours, so if it's a soil issue I'll try to fix it as soon as I return in a week and a half.

These look like new roots?

Roots circling the rim:

Root tips poking out:

I put the ficus back in the same place after the shower:

May 23 2018 · More Info

Last question: I don't think the roots around the rim are really getting any water or nutrients...should I just peel them off the rim and push them into/under the soil? Something tells me it's just going to do the same thing and I'll find roots around the rim when I return...

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH