SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia_hecomovich

Fiddle leaf fig issues: brown spot, root-rot?, re-pot, hopes shot :(

Lydia Hecomovich
5 years ago

PLEASE HELP (ME HELP) THIS PLANT!!

I've had my fiddle leaf fig for ~6 months or so now. After reading many articles, posts, forums, etc. on FLF care, it seemed like overwatering was a very common issue so I did my best to avoid that at all costs and only water when the top soil was dry.

All seemed to be going well with the plant until recently when I noticed some brown spots on the edges of the leaves. I didn't want to to react too quickly so I gave it time as I had read this could also be due to under- or even erratic-watering. More leaves started to get brown spots on the edges and I finally decided I should investigate. I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw a bit of white residue (NO!) While the top of the pot had been BONE-DRY. I - once again - read articles frantically and decided it was best to see if root rot was the culprit and act quickly. I ran to the nearest Home Depot and got Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix as that was the best they had and I figured. I should act quickly. The roots all in all didn't actually look to be rotted, but none of the roots were white.. They were all fairly red/dark but firm (I wish I had taken pictures). There were also clumps of soil attached to the roots so I carefully took ALL of the soil off of the plant, rinsed the roots thoroughly and trimmed the darkest parts of the roots but not very intensively because they really did not appear to be rotted.

After repotting the plant in a slightly larger pot (all Home Depot had and I was worried about reusing the old pot if there was something else at play) I watered the plant and monitored the soil the next day. I had to leave for a business trip and the soil still seemed quite moist, so I put it in front of a window that got more light (I'm in NY and it's December, so that's not saying a ton, but it is also near a heating vent). Upon getting home tonight I honestly wanted to cry..

I've now moved it back to my bedroom (figured the move + repotting may have been too much stress on the plant) but would be so so appreciative of advice on what steps to take next - I'm worried to do anything else for fear of shocking the plant.

• Should I trim all the leaves that have brown spots (from my research I saw mixed opinions on this)? Should I repot it again (I fear this could cause more issues)
  • Should I water it more even though the soil is dry (I've never seen the leaves this droopy, the top two are always at attention)
  • Should I just leave it alone?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide (my plant thanks you too)

-L

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Loudoun County