SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qi99

Help! what shrubs should I plant for privacy?

qi99
5 years ago

I posted this in "Landscape Design" and was told this should be a better forum. So I'm re-posting it here again.

Hello, the back of my house is very close to the back of my neighbor's. I want to plant something tall (not sure how tall, say, 5' to 7') bushes/trees to give some privacy. I'd like to have some flowering bushes and some evergreens. I'd prefer something that does not require a lot of maintenance and blooms repeatedly. The distance from the plants to the house is about 15' and the zone is 6a. It is south facing.

My questions are:

1. For evergreens: Arborvitae seem to be a good choice. But the problem is I don't want it to be too tall to block the sunshine in winter. Can one control the height of Arborvitae so it won't go beyond 7 or 8'? Or can one just trim at the top? If not, what other kind of evergreens I should plant in their place? (What about skip laurel and photinia red robin?)

2. For flowering bushes: what kinds do you suggest? I'm thinking of hydrangea and rose. (Again I want long blooming time here.) Can you recommend a particular hydrangea or rose? (limelight? double knockout? David Austin?) Or some other bushes?

3. I'm thinking of one row of the privacy screen with the evergreens in the center and hydrangeas on one side and roses on the other. Is this arrangement okay?

Thanks very much in advance!

Comments (8)