SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

So I've seen many, many articles related to seed starting state that you shouldn't include any fertilizer whatsoever (compost included) in a seed starting mix, due to it possibly "burning" the seed. I don't understand this. We direct sow crops like carrots, beans, corn, beets, etc. all the time, sometimes with fertilizer added before we sow, and normally with a lot of compost incorporated into the soil. What's the difference between this and sowing in a pot with those same nutrients? If one goes overkill on the fertilizer, I could see it happening (e.g., added 4 cups of 13-13-13 to a 1" pot), but that aside, how does having a rich seed starting mix affect seed germination when rich soil does not?

I'm just curious as to the reasons, as it kind of baffles me. I've had the best results starting in pure sifted compost, but that in itself is frowned upon. Sure, disease could reside in the compost, bugs could use it for a home, etc., but nutrient burn? I wonder if there are actually any real studies on the topic.

Comments (6)