SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

More tentative wedding tidbits

l pinkmountain
5 years ago

I hesitate to give out any details because with my whole relationship with SO and any hope and dreams we have, it seems like whenever we count on something good happening it gets crushed, but being the scientist that I am, I know that is only anecdotal so I guess it won't hurt to put some hopes and dreams out there. So TENTATIVELY . . .

1. Two weddings, one here in MI for my family who are too old to travel, and one out East for SO's family who are too sick and are of limited means for travel. Guests list will be parsed by geographic location. SO and I have roots in both places.

2. Both weddings tentatively will take place outdoors, one at a camp and the other one perhaps at either a country church or rustic resort or another camp, that just went back up in the air again but I am home from work trying to sort it out today. Both will have indoor accommodations in case it rains.

3. MI wedding will an homage to my mom and her family. Methodist service, and tentatively if I can convince SO to stand for something, I'll be taking a cue from Meghan and having the theme be "This Little Light of Mine." It's a Methodist hymn after all. And human rights anthem, and I have family that were Methodists and some that were civil rights activists. East coast wedding will be similar, although I'll be adding "Tikkun Olam" to the theme for dad's side of the family. (Jewish religious idea of the point of human existence being to manifest God's spirit to heal the world, i.e. be a light unto the world.)

4. Very little decoration wanted or needed for the venues. In MI, my cousin is helping me gather some easy family heirlooms to decorate the tables, etc. We'll use grandma's quilts and rag rugs, and her and mom and other family member's tea sets to fill with flowers on the dinner tables for centerpieces. I might take a quilt or two with me out East, but there I will probably plant a tree as part of the ceremony, so I'll probably just get two trees and use them to decorate the alter and then maybe some native plants or mums for centerpieces, that can be left and planted at the venue.

5. Wedding favor will be monogrammed champagne flutes, although they will get filled with non-alcoholic champagne at both venues due to regulations. If that doesn't work out maybe little flashlight key chains.

6. Dinner in both places will be picnic type foods. In MI, a fish fry of local caught fish, with hamburgers for those who don't like fish and veggie lasagna for the vegetarians since it is one of SO's favorite foods. Out east we may have to go totally Italian, lots of pasta to cut costs. I'd like to do a grilled turkey meal, but we'll see . . .

7. SO and I are going to play/sing our own wedding songs, if we can agree on some songs. Local musician family and friends will fill in where needed. SO is making a mix tape for the reception and his son is going to be the DJ out east. I think SO will do it in MI to avoid socializing with my family and friend since he is quite introverted. (Slight sarcasm there . . . ) Hopefully though I can find a competent friend to take on that role, master of ceremonies. No probs out east, but some in MI. I can do it since I do that kind of thing for a living, but that's a bit awkward. Some dancing but nothing elaborate. Wedding over early so guest can travel back home, but maybe an after party at a local pub for those coming in from out of town if there ends up being a lot of them.

8. To me this is the best part! Cake will just be small for bride and groom, carrot, everyone's favorite. Cupcakes for guests. Cake will look like this, sort of. Cupcakes maybe decorated with leaves if I can find some ready made to put on top. In MI, will use some small china pixie figurines from mom, but out east will use gnomes, they have personal significance to the venue actually! Or maybe the birch version. But, NO CARVING INTO LIVE TREES though, that is terrible for the tree and can lead to a fatal infection! Especially nowdays.

Comments (16)