SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hli6

Renovation Advice - My house has no proper front entry!

hli6
5 years ago
I love my small house. It was built in the 1960s when life was different. I’ve been living in my house for 4 years now. I have no immediate plans to sell the house, but who knows what might happen in the future! One of the things my house lacks is a proper front entry. The front door opens right into my living room. No one ever uses the front door. I use the side door, which opens into my kitchen, for my shoes and hang my coat in the closet in the living room. It works for me as a single person living in the house but it becomes quite congested when I have guests over. I’m just worried that when it comes to sell my house in the future, a modern family will be turned off by the lack of storage space. One idea was to convert the breezeway between my house and garage into a mud room/foyer. An entrance will be created from the foyer into the house where my dining room is. The existing front porch will be turned into a sunroom/dining room. So basically this renovation requires windows, doors, new flooring, drywall, some electrical work, good insulation and a new roofline. I got a quote from one contractor and it was surprisingly high considering the small size and lack of foundation work required. I will be getting more quotes but I do wonder if this is even worth pursuing. Would a family with a modern lifestyle be willing to buy a house with no proper front entry? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)