SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyology

Desperately need advice selecting a front entry door

jennyology
12 years ago

Hi,

We're about to get started on an exterior remodel of our house - new siding, trim and doors. I need to make a decision on our front door ASAP and am feeling terribly overwhelmed. If anyone has any advice to offer, I'd appreciate it!

First of all, my home is in Durham, NH. The door will be installed in November. I'd like to paint our front door, but I'm concerned that the temperature will be too cold at that time. The average low temp is 30 degrees in November here.

Here's a Google Sketchup mock-up of the soon-to-be-remodeled home:

While a Craftsman door is not exactly architecturally correct for our house, we'd really like a door with glass there - low enough that we can look out from it, but not so much glass as to impede on our privacy.

Here are the options I'm looking at:

1. Thermatru Smooth-star fiberglass door ($670)

Pros: inexpensive, paintable, fiberglass, more traditional looking panels

Cons: thin muntins (1/2 inch), not simulated divided lites - they're glued to the glass.

-----------

2. Pella fiberglass Craftsman door with recessed flat panels ($1100, primed only)

Pros: paintable, fiberglass, decent SDL muntins (I think)

Cons: not crazy about the faux wood grain, especially since I plan to paint it

-----------

3. Jeld-Wen aluminum-clad wood Craftsman style door with recessed flat panels ($1200) [no photo]

- this is sort of a custom design that was quoted to match the Jeld-Wen patio door we've ordered.

Pros: wood, 1 1/8 sized SDL muntins, primed wood interior, wouldn't have to paint the exterior since it would come pre-finished in aluminum cladding

Cons: not sure ... how would extruded aluminum-cladding look on a front door?

-----------

4. Simpson Nantucket Collection black locust wood door with recessed flat panels(~$1600)

{{!gwi}}
Pros: heavy wood, promoted as weatherproof and able to withstand extremes, interesting look, 7/8" SDL wide muntins, 10-year limited warranty

Cons: expensive, must be painted - in November

Any advice? Any suggestions on other doors to consider? Is it a big deal to paint a door in November?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Comments (4)