SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltkaw9

Undisclosed Abandoned Leach Lines

Kyle Williams
5 years ago

Hello,

i bought my house in 2016, property very well delineated in inspection and septic system inspected, all clear at that point. The property I bought was split in 2007, with the existing septic system leach lines remaining on the split property until they were abandoned and replaced n my current property in 2010. Evidently the owner of my property at the time of the split agreed to excavate the abandoned lines with a written contract and that stated the abandoned lines still belonged to him at that time. The lines were abandoned in 2010 and replaced, however the old lines were never excavated. There have been several owners before me of this property, and as far as the documentation goes, this signed contract was never transferred to any new owner. My sale documents do not include any of these old lines, my property borders that were defined on the sale documents do not include these lines and the septic inspection did not mention them. I never signed anything to accept ownership of these old abandoned lines in 2016 and these were never disclosed as existing (as far as we can tell) since the owner in 2007. The sellers of the the split property with the abandoned lines are now coming to me to pay for excavation despite me never getting the ownership transferred to me, them not being in my sales documents and it not being disclosed to anyone since 2007.

My question is, how would I possibly be liable as this happened 11 years ago and it was not transferred to me in any way with the sale. In addition, the states statute of limitations of written contracts like this is 6 years, so we are over that by 5 years, which if I understand correctly would make any argument against this contract void if directed towards me.

Comments (21)