SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_512725

Old floating staircase: can the wood be stained?

Sharon Yedidia
5 years ago

Hello,

I am having a grey color laminate installed upstairs and downstairs. We pulled the carpet off of the floating staircase and I have a bit of a dilemma as to what to do now as they cannot be laminated. I had a quote for brand new wooden ash treads, which can be stained gray. They would also be thicker. It sounds lovely but is a little pricey. These are my questions regarding the existing treads:

1. If after all the staples have been pulled and the holes filled, would it be possible to stain the old treads gray? Can you stain on top of filled holes and so many imperfections in the wood?

2. Would sanding and then painting them be an option? I am concerned the stairs may be slippery and that the paint would not last that long... I was told that paint would hide more imperfections than staining.

In terms of longevity, what would be better? And in terms of aesthetics? The railing (not in the picture) I am planning on painting urban bronze, as well as the side pieces of wood. My new wall colors are repose gray, and the laminate is also gray. I will also be changing the wallpaper that you can see in the photos, although I have not yet chosen it.

I am posting pictures. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Comments (12)