SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egorelln

kitchen remodel in a 1985 home

egorelln
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel. We have an open floor plan - Kitchen has large center island, adjacent to kitchen table eating area which is adjacent to a sunken family room with brick fireplace. We have mission furniture in our family room and have enjoyed the warm cozy earth tones. However we live on a heavily wooded lot and our kitchen feels like a cave with all our brown cabinets. SO... with kitchen remodel I have chosen to go with all new white cabinets. I wanted to break out of my brown kitchen box, but now feel like I'm going to end up in a white kitchen cloud. We are leaving our oak trim above our kitchen window as well as the eating area which has 2 windows and sliding glass doors which will stay an oak trim. However.... my dilemma is blending the family room and kitchen. I do not like counters that have busy granite and have opted for an IronBridge Cambria Island top with minimal pattern and white so I can see/verify if it's clean, sticky, etc. But.. designer thinking gray for paint on walls and we can't decide on backsplash or if we should do a different color for perimeter countertops (maybe black?) We are planning to paint the island in a dark color tone? Too much for me to figure out, but at the end of day I don't want a white cloud, I want some color in my kitchen and yet want it to flow with the more traditional feel of our family room...hmmm.... help? thoughts??

Comment (1)