SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babyviolets_africanviolets

Watering tiny plantlet african violets...capillary matting.

cooks
5 years ago

I just separated a tray full of baby violets plantlets from leaves about a 1.5 months ago. I potted them up in small mouthwash cups and have one normal sized tray full of them. I kept them in ziploc baggies for a month and recently took them all out of the baggies into a tray. I usually just bottom water when the soil seems dry on the top or when the cup feels lightweight.

Recently I have noticed that some of the plantlets have become mushy, or wilted leaves and really slow growth. They are potted up in perlite+peat moss mix (with no fertilizer additives). I have lightly fertilized them once with watering.

They are kept under lights (4-5" away) with a clear tray cover on top, which I keep slightly open at one end. The temps are around 60F and the humidity is normal or slightly above normal.

Until now I have lost about 10 plantlet cups out of 40 and seems like there are others which will go the same route....become mushy and brown, wilted. I think it may have something to do with the watering schedule I follow, they do become dry at times, before I can get to them.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with capillary matting? If I dont wick these plants and just place them on capillary mats, can they still take up water, through the holes at the bottom of the cups? I have another set of plant baby leaves which need separating soon, resulting in two more trays of plants....and dont want them to end up like the others. I have noticed that everytime, this is where I loose the maximum number of plants, when I try to grow the small plantlets into larger plants. I loose around 50% of my plants, that I grow from leaves.

Any suggestions?? What am I doing wrong. Even when I take them out of ziploc baggies, I first just open up the tops of the bags, let them settle for a week or two and then put the cups into trays.

thanks, I need to vent out somewhere, this was bugging me for the past few days.

Cooks.

Comments (5)