SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

Sugar Maple diagnosis requested.

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I noticed a few branches on my tree had winter buds like the rest of the tree but then didn't have bud break with the warm weather. The buds that have started growing seem extremely vigorous and healthy. There are new branches sprouting from the base of even the healthy branches and some new shoots coming out from the trunk.

The tree was in the ground since a year ago last fall and I raised the root ball a year ago in March, so this season will be it's second full season in the ground. A few of the unresponsive branch tips are dead brown under the bark but further down the branch it's sort of a dryish green under the bark and there is a few new buds starting about half way up the branch.

Should I prune things now or give it more time to see if other parts come alive. Any ideas of what might of happened? We did have a hard winter but this is a zone 3 tree. Most of the dead is on the larger "Y" branch in the foreground of the first picture and I'm thinking most of that one should be subordinated anyways. The left side in the first picture with most of the leaves is what I would call "the main tree".

TIA.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH