SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodnitegracie

Backsplash! Dream option or budget?

goodnitegracie
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So the idea to do a white subway tile backsplash has been pretty firm from the start. However, as many of you know there are so many options within that category. The cheapest would be 3x6 plain white tile from Lowes or Home Depot. I can't shake this desire for one of the more hand-made looking options like the Elida Ceramica Hand Crafted White or the Catalina White from our local big box stores. I love the idea of the subtle surface variations glimmering in the light, and worry about the super cheap option being too flat. The thing is, even the big-box version of these tiles are $500 more than the basic option.

So I guess my question is this. I know its different for everyone, but is it worth it? It's a small percentage of our budget, but as with any reno, costs pile up. Below I've attached a rough rendering I did of the proposed kitchen. The lower cabinets will be stained wood and the uppers will be a slab bead board painted white. The plan is for the tile to go all the way to the ceiling where our hood is.

I'm also going back and forth on light vs dark grout. I think if I did go with the wavy-surfaced tile I would choose white grout, to create more of a textural than graphic effect.

Thanks in advance for any response. My hubby hates these sorts of things and if I bring it to him, he will just choose something (usually cheapest) to have a choice made and move on.

Comments (6)