SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djahlm

Shutters, or no shutters?

djahlm
5 years ago

Should we leave the shutters on or remove them from the house?

Comments (45)

• PRO
    KHERBOUCHE DESIGNS
    5 years ago

Remove them ,

djahlm thanked KHERBOUCHE DESIGNS
  • mehdiadeco
    5 years ago

Hello, this website popped up in the conversation over a similar question recently, check it out.

Best

Mehdia

djahlm thanked mehdiadeco
  • Related Discussions

New Build - Shutters or No Shutters?

Q

Comments (12)
    It is probably just me, but I find the design of this house not to be all that good. The front looks like it was fussed over for hours in an attempt to make the floor plan look good but ends up pretentious, then the other sides were left to happenstance. I mean it will most likely be built as it is drawn, still shedding rain and holding in heat when it is wanted, doors will open and close, countertop will still support the toaster and coffee pot and cutting boards and all the kitchen gadgets. This happens all the time, as if there is nothing more out there for us. Maybe each morning I should just brush the hair off my forehead, brush back my temples, tame my beard and head out each day, leaving the hairs on the back of my head to continue their rest, fore I do not see them so what should I care.
    ...See More

Help! Shutters v. no shutters?

Q

Comments (15)
    Love that your shutters ARE fully functional with dogs!!! I would keep them on the lower, porch windows. Don’t mess with your upper windows. They look beautiful as they are. No tinkering with trims, etc. I’d keep your shutters and paint them a light color. A pale taupe, a soft green, a faint blue. Or white. Very soft. Just a hint of color. Your home is absolutely beautiful.
    ...See More

Shutters? Or no shutters?

Q

Comments (15)
    This might be a better photo showing the siding color The siding is steel. We will be removing the hedge bushes too. We will be removing the front siding due to sime damage. Wondering if we should replace to what we have or put instead a shake siding on front
    ...See More

shutters or no shutters? door paint colour?

Q

Comments (9)
    I had my husband remove the shutters and I did a few colour visualizers. What do you think? The colour is in the bottom left corner …
    ...See More
  • Denita
    5 years ago

Your shutters look like they are appropriate for your home's style and windows. They even are very close to being the right size. I would keep them and just add hardware, hinges and shutterdogs, to the shutters to make them look functional. Take a look at these shutters below with hardware. You may have to rehang the shutters to get the look.

Our Work · More Info

Sea Change- Hybrid Construction · More Info

djahlm thanked Denita
  • Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You have a welcoming, beautiful home. Just another point or two for your very lovely home: add much larger address numbers so they can be seen from the road and a nice garden walkway to your front door would open up your exterior IMO. The walkway would come out from the front door to the road that I assume runs in front of your home. Something along these lines (JMO)

Las Villas · More Info

Traditional Landscape · More Info

djahlm thanked Denita
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    5 years ago

Do you like the shutters? Do you hate the shutters? Is it the color? Your question of keep or remove them actually generates more questions.

Based on the style of your house it is entirely appropriate to have shutters, and yours are sized properly. In fact I think if you removed them from the shed dormer on the second floor you would probably realize that they add interest to that area.

If you're thinking of removing anything I would remove the awnings over the front and side doors. They don't look to be in great shape and style wise detract from the look of the house.

If you are wanting to change the look of the house and your budget allows you could add a small front porch with some square white columns and change out the wrought iron to white railings.

djahlm thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

I would leave the shutters but do something with the awnings. Remove & replace with something else ...

djahlm thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Keep the shutters but the color is wrong for the home. Consider black shutters The aluminum awnings should be replaced with either canvas or metal awnings in a more simple style.

djahlm thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

I like the shutters and agree adding some hardware would be nice. Black shutters would look great with your siding and roof colors.

djahlm thanked chloebud
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone. I like the idea of making the shutters black and the ideas for updated awnings.

Denita, the added hardware to the shutters looks interesting, and I like your hardscape ideas.

Creative Visual Concepts, maybe it is the color of the shutters that has me wondering whether to keep them, or not. I love the idea of a front porch!

Thanks, BeverlyFLADeziner, for your straightforward assessment and suggestions that I always appreciate.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Well, djahim, Beverly has given the exact advice I would have. And Denita's suggestion for a walkway is spot on.

djahlm thanked groveraxle
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Yup! ^^^^^

djahlm thanked katinparadise
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The shutters are down. So, do we leave them off or paint them black and put back up as shown in Grover’s rendering. In either case, we plan to replace the awnings with black ones. Right now, just looking for opinions on the shutters.

• Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

^Grovers mock up
    ^Without shutters.

I like the mockup Grover shows...so yes to newly painted, black shutters with hardware.

djahlm thanked Denita
  • anjiz
    5 years ago
    I would replace with black shutters - they make your house appear interesting!
    djahlm thanked anjiz
  • shwshw
    5 years ago

I love shutters and the black looks great!. I asked a similar question on a post (not mine). It was suggested I remove my shutters, mostly because I have one oversized window and the shutters for that window are not (and cannot be) the right size. I didn't really like houses without shutters until it was pointed out that older homes without shutters often had more robust window trim. I like these:

Exterior · More Info

Exterior · More Info

djahlm thanked shwshw
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Denita, for putting the pics side by side to see the comparison of the two looks. I think I’m leaning toward painting the shutters black.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Shwshw, we’ll be going with black shutters. I agree that without shutters, window trim needs to be “robust,” as you say. I think the black shutters add some presence to our house. Thanks!

• shwshw
    5 years ago
    I had another thought. Get your awnings painted black too. You may not feel the need to replace them right away or ever.
    djahlm thanked shwshw
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Regarding awnings:

IMO, the problem with the original awnings is that they're a bit overbearing. Painting them black would make them more so. In fact, leaving them as is with black shutters doesn't look bad; the black shutters seem to command more attention than the red shutters did and so take the focus off the awnings.

Paint the shutters first, then decide if you want to do anything with the awnings.

• shwshw
    5 years ago
    Good point grover
    djahlm thanked shwshw
  • annievibes
    5 years ago

Your home is beautiful, I would keep shutters but as many suggest def another color and black would look great! I recently added black shutters to our home and it made a huge difference.

- This is random but @groveraxle , which app/website do you use for home remodels? :D

djahlm thanked annievibes
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Just paint them black ! And perhaps get some plants that climb on both sides of the awnings and smother the awning with lush climbing blooms !
    djahlm thanked silviakunst
  • qam999
    5 years ago

Also consider beefing up front steps and railings - wider steps, chunkier railings.

djahlm thanked qam999
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Spot on, as usual, Grover. It’s funny how when you see a picture of your house you see things that you don’t notice when you look at it everyday. I kind of cringe when I look back at my DR before updating it.

i agree, the awnings are overbearing, and I love the rendered ones. But, I appreciate your practical advice, Grover. Shutters first, and then a second look at the awnings. Thanks!

• djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

qam999, all very good ideas; something we’ll need to work on in stages.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

@annievibes, I use Photoshop Elements.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

While the shutters are off, deal with the porches/awnings and see how it looks once they're upgraded. Then the shutter question will be easier to answer. The scale of the house is not grand and the amount of shutters "everywhere" tends to make it look busy, IMO.

djahlm thanked decoenthusiaste
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Another angle to think about, decoenthusiaste. Thank you for your suggestion.

• User
    5 years ago
    I like the shutters!! I think it adds character, I just recently redid my home with new shutters but I agree black would be great on yours I did naval blue
    djahlm thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Leave the shutters but paind them a blue/gray that is almost black and update the door in a slightly lighter blue/gray shade. Update the porch railings and awnings with something more attractive that matches the shutters or door.

djahlm thanked User
  • PRO
    GenStone Products
    5 years ago

Another option, with black shutters. I used groveraxle's drawing.

djahlm thanked GenStone Products
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That’s so pretty GenStone Products; I love the look.

• PRO
    GenStone Products
    5 years ago

Thanks! I think groveraxel really nailed it with the shutters and walkway. I used our Kenai Stacked Stone for the wainscoting.

djahlm thanked GenStone Products
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We sustained hail damage and a tree demolished our backyard deck, so we’ll be residing, reroofing and building a new deck. I’m looking for suggestions for siding material and color. We’ll likely be choosing a similar color for the roof.

I‘m going to start looking at design ideas for decks, but any suggestions are very welcome.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trying to attach photos but it’s a no-go right now; I’ll try later. There are pics of the house above to look at, but trying to make it so people don’t have to scroll for them.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Backyard:

What do I need to do to get the pics to orient correctly. I never had this problem in the past.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that djahlm. I hope everyone is safe! The sideways pics seem to be an issue lately.

djahlm thanked katinparadise
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Man, that tree flipped your whole house and yard over. I'm sorry this happened to you.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know, Grover! It’s been a dizzying couple of days.;))

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here’s the front, sideways again. Thanks for flipping the backyard, Grover. If I knew how to, I would do it myself.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everyone safe, shwshw, thanks. My husband and I were actually standing at the deck door when the tree came down. It landed inches from our new patio door, so we were lucky. I thought we got hit by lightening.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• keith Dcil
    4 years ago

shutters are good. awning is bad

• PRO
    MetroNet Realty
    4 years ago

hi everybody please comment on my similar thread

Check out this discussion on Houzz - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5835425/need-opinion-on-exterior-windows-trim-and-shutters

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County