SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zneret

Shower pan - tiles in or out to level floor

zneret
5 years ago

I will be replacing the fiberglass corner cubicle shower in my bathroom with a custom setup. The previous owners had the shower installed before floor was tiled. Both the new pan and old stall are 36" deep but the existing stall was installed after the drywall was installed and the new pan requires to be but up against the studs and drywalled in. As such, there are two tiles that need to be removed and replaced for finishing purposes.

The pan is a very heavy stone composite unit that I want to get into place once and not have to pull it out again. It also covers the width of the bathroom so it will sit on space that is currently tiled.

Assuming the existing tiles are level, should I just tile over where the current shower stall is? I do have spare tiles but would rather keep them as spares for the bedroom and other places where they've been used. The tiles are 1/4" so generic replacements can be used.

Last question is, how does one level the floor base for a shower pan given that there is a large le cut for the old shower drain already? Plug it up and use self-levelling cement?

Comment