SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

If your house was a different type of some artistic expression..

aprilneverends
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

..what it'd be? what you'd rather want it to be?

You can bring any example. Musical piece, poem, prose, painting, sculpture. You can list several as it's often hard to choose one.

And as it can alter as our mood alters-you can keep this thread ongoing..:)

I remember Lars opening a very interesting thread, about whether our tastes in music are somehow reflected in our decor

(music is not my forte but it was interesting to explore and find, surprizingly, lots of parallels)

The idea of this thread was inspired by the development of very recent Ingrid's thread about neutral rooms. I said I was working on my house reflecting more gloom or something along the lines.

I thought about this song I love for example..where there's certain contradiction between something very upbeat-melody, rhythm-and quite weird and gloomy and mysterious too, especially given the history of the painting that inspired the song.

So it's a fine balance to achieve, and I think Queen did it.

I'm not sure about my own modest talents..

So I'll start..Here's the song I'm talking about

and now, if you wish, it's your turn:)

Comments (66)

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

lol. I don't know if I have any thought-provoking secrets. My mom has Alzheimer's and I have toyed with doing a podcast about it. I think a post secret sort of format would be an interesting way to find out what people think about people with Alzheimer's and how they behave.

Have you written any?

aprilneverends thanked ilikefriday
  • ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Sabbath - Oh post it! I want to see. The one I contains similar language. I will find a photo of my interpretation and post it.

• Related Discussions

Two different types of bees in the same house?

Q

Comments (2)
    Greatings estreya, I'm not near as knowledgable on Mason Orchard Bees as perhaps I could/should be; however I have maintained the wood block style "home" around my house for the past many years. I would offer up this observation, first the darker coloured mud plug doesn't necessarily mean a different species of bee - probably just means the dirt around your home is different than what they have, where you bought your bees from. Also, the term 'Mason bee' is fairly widely used and a quick search on the internet will reveal this label can (and is) used to describe bees of varying colour; from greenish to blueish to almost blackish. Maybe the newest generation of bees you're seeing are from 'indigenous' (gotta love that term...even, if used, on a local regional scale!) bees. However, if the reason you got Mason bees to begin with, was for pollination purposes, I'd say let the indigenous bees make themselves at home - you're still serving the same end result, right? But also some wasps can make themselves at home in your cardboard tubes and they are MUCH less efficient pollinators than Mason bees - so I'd be more on the lookout for them. Look for very smooth mud cap plugs that the wasps build - roughly finished mud cap plugs are the Mason bees. It appears from the photo that your tubes have the paper inserts used to help keep the tubes clean (clean holes being much prefered by female Mason bees). That also allows for the ease of refrigerated storage - which you may want to consider. I, personally, DON'T do this - I simply leave them alone and let Mother Nature take it's course. I do clean the holes out from time-to-time however. This is one topic you need to reasearch yourself and come to your own decision about. My sense is, in your part of the country, there is a tendency to use the refrigeration technique. Perhaps someone else will enlighten us and point to the error of my ways... feel free to comment all you Mason Bee experts!
    ...See More

How many different pain colors do you have in your house?

Q

Comments (28)
    Our house was a new build in 2007. It was a spec home so we didn't get to pick colors. Colors when we bought it- SW 7036 Accessible Beige on Walls and ceilings throughout Trim-SW 7008 Alabaster Dining room-SW San Antonio Sage Powder Room-SW Rookwood Blue-Green Trim and Wainscotting in Bonus Room-SW Tavern Taupe Hated all of the colors but loved the house. We have redone about 50% of the interior so far using BM Aura matte, but with some SW colors matched in Aura. Dining room is now BM Aura Pomegranate with ceiling in SW Alabaster Powder Room walls/ceiling are Valspar Belle Grove Light Amber (fell in love with this color and it was a one gallon job so I used Valspar paint-it came out pretty good but this is a low traffic room with wainscotting 4 feet up the walls so the walls won't get any hand contact) Kitchen is BM Aura Matte in BM472 Aganthus Green-ceiling remains undecided (still Accessible Beige) Great Room including coffer inserts is BM Aura Matte in BM473 Weekend Getaway Bonus room became a playroom for my 4 year old-walls in SW 6715 Lime Granita-all of the trim was converted to Alabaster from Tavern Taupe. I used Aura Semi-Gloss to get the right coverage. 4 Year old's bedroom is SW 6849 Partytime with 6848 Panache Pink on the ceiling 4 year old's bathroom is SW 6716 Dancing Green with Alabaster on the ceiling Master Bedroom and bath will be SW 7621 Silvermist with Silvermist on the bathroom ceiling and an undetermined lighter shade in the bedroom's tray ceiling ( I sampled a 25% mix of Silvermist but it screamed "It's A BOY!") I'm working on this room now. Still to come is the foyer/stairwell/upper hallway, a bedroom we use as a home office, and the entire finished basement which has a playroom/theater, bedroom, and full bath. I may hire out the foyer and stairwell as opposed to renting scaffolding but I'll be doing the rest myself.
    ...See More

I Want Some Type Of Home Frangrance - What Are You Using at Home

Q

Comments (53)
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned fragrance lamps. These are smaller glass lamps that you fill with fragrance oils, light for 5 minutes and then blow out the flame. The oil will burn and take odors out of your home and leave a pleasant scent. The Lampe Berger system includes the catalyst (burner) and the catalyst medium (home fragrances). According to Lampe Berger, the catalytic combustion is a flameless combustion, which takes place because of the action of a catalyst. Odor-causing molecules in the room are attraced to the heat developed by the catalysis. The heat then breaks down these molecules through oxidation and prevents them from recombining. A Berger lamp is different from other types of air fresheners in that a Berger lamp actually eliminates the odor, instead of just masking it. Also, a Berger lamp actively cleans the air, also something normal air fresheners donâÂÂt do. You may be curious where Berger lamps originate from. Berger lamps were invented by Maurice Berger in the early twentieth century. Berger lamps were considered a disinfecting home appliance. Through a unique process of high temperature catalytic combustion, Berger lamps eliminates and destroys the molecules behind unpleasant odors such as cigarette smoke and cooking while pleasantly perfuming the air and destroying bacteria. You do have to follow a certain protocol when burning these or you'll burn up your wick. The top cap can get hot, so I always keep mine on a high shelf. The brands of lamps are numerous as are the oils. I buy mine at the link below, the off brand lamps work fine. I find all of the oils very strong so I mix them half and half in the lamp with 91% rubbing alcohol (available at Walmart). Do NOT use anything except the 91%. I burn mine only about twice a week or when I have company. Here is a link that might be useful: Courtney's Candles
    ...See More

Expressing your style in a business suit

Q

Comments (58)
    Thanks! I aesm not sure I would call them youthful.. but they are not as buttoned up as some of my other suit jackets. I think that can give them a little youthful spirit. Also, their styling is youthful-- and kind of ridiculous now that I know the fabric content. Daisy, I am sorry. My laptop (which was my backup after my primary failed) crapped out yesterday so I don't have access to any of my links or shopping carts (because my cookies are gone!). They were both from Nordstrom. The ivory one is plus size and seems to run pretty true to size. I am wearing mine a little big. One word of warning. I don't think either of these are GREAT for summer. They are both poly blends and the patterned jacket is rather thick (the ivory jacket is a great weight for summer but it's still a synthetic). I struggle with summer jackets. I like linen but linen jackets look terrible at the end of the day.. I have a silk tweed that works nicely but I haven't seen anything else in silk.
    ...See More
  • ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Sabbath - love it! Here is my interpretation of the graffiti I love. I add to it as time passes. The hair contains sayings and things that remind me of family members. For example, my MIL says she is going to let the water harass her body when she is ready to go swimming ( she's not from the USA). This is always a work in progress. One that I will never finish.

I just googled Ashley Longshore and really like her work.

It's really amazing what people will say when they know you are open to listening in a nonjudgmental way.

• hooked123
    5 years ago

I love it Ilikefriday! I met Ashley at her gallery a few weeks ago and she is as crazy as her art. Somehow when people just admit who they are at their worst I can’t judge them, because I myself may not have made the same mistakes as them but I have made mistakes nonetheless.

aprilneverends thanked hooked123
  • ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Somehow I attract crazy folks into my space. It just tells me I must have a little touch of crazy too. LOL

• handmethathammer
    5 years ago

This is a fun thread. I work at a library and one of my tasks is to create book displays. My coworker was admiring my latest display and commented that my house must be really nicely decorated.

I was ashamed that it is pretty much builder beige. We haven't made many changes in the 4 years of living here...in color anyway. We did put in wood floors that I LOVE. Her comment inspired me to bring some color to my space and stop worrying about "resale" or "keeping things neutral." We do not plan to move, and I need to fully move into this space.

The work of art I'd like my house to be is a warm, comfy, and fun beach read novel. Someplace you enjoy being, where you may tackle difficult subjects, but there is always a solution, and lots and lots of relaxation and fun.

aprilneverends thanked handmethathammer
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I've been thinking of this all day, april : ) .

I think my choice would be the 1944 black and white British Powell & Pressburger movie, "I Know Where I'm Going". Where of course the no-nonsense heroine thinks she knows where she's going (to marry a rich industrialist she doesn't love), but of course she doesn't. The themes of the movie are the role of fate in life, choosing happiness and kindness over money, and following your heart rather than your head. The wild, beautiful scenery of the Hebrides is almost another character. A beautiful, moving, lyrical movie which speaks to me on many levels.

aprilneverends thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • lshack17
    5 years ago
    Apparently the post I was referring to was taken down.
    aprilneverends thanked lshack17
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago

Well, as I mentioned on the other thread, I like homes that tell a story - so mine is a Peter Hopkirk book, probably "The Great Game," which is a non-fiction recounting of the rivalry between the British and Russian Empires in Afghanistan and Central Asia during most of the 19th century.

I have a few antiques, inherited from my British grandmother and great aunts, that date from around that period. I spent time in Pakistan and India ( the British India of the book) and so have rugs, donkey and camel bags along with lots of brass, copper and bronze pieces from both countries and from Afghanistan. And, to round out the story, I ended up for a while in one of the now-independent republics that was once a part of the Russian Empire, so I've got a couple of antiques and quite a bit of art from there as well.

Hopkirk wrote several books, and I suspect there's another book in my house. I just have to find it! ;)

aprilneverends thanked jmm1837
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

..apparently, I missed a lot..sorry, hard day's night(c)..but there's a lot to read, absorb, learn-because I don't know so much! imagine, and wonder

and I'm very ..oh how can one express himself without, you know..well, I'll just accept for a time being, one can't, sometimes..I'm very grateful..

you know me well enough to predict I'll be back..:) in the blue and sunny morn

"It's really amazing what people will say when they know you are open to listening in a nonjudgmental way."-yes

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

(it'll be many incoherent messy posts..say I found two Fritz von der Schulenberg ..very enlightening as knew nothing about either..

Rita you touched the very essence..

I love graffiti

I love everything books. I surround myself with them. They calm me. Even though I had this nightmare the heroes come alive at night when I was little..including Hound of Baskervilles..that was a long night lol

With all my love for books though-many books mentioned here I didn't read or even hear about them for the first time.

jmm as I'm from former Soviet Union I wonder what republic was that. Most chances I've never been to though-who knew we'd leave, one always thinks he's got time. besides Ukraine, I've been only to Russia, Belarus(briefly), Lithuania, Latvia, and Uzbekistan(now, that was really different!)..My brother studied in Estonia, yet I never got a chance to visit. There was a book I loved as a girl..it describes, to an extent, the rivarly you talk about but much later, after revolution, takes place in what now would be Tajikistan I suppose..it's called "Nisso"

so. that was a fine example of a messy post:)

• havingfun
    5 years ago

april again, you are where i live. i am thinking hard about it. my art range is huge and relies more on something that someone cared about, i can see a small part of them but it leaves you wondering. my music ranges from joyful to dark and haunting, and yet all i really need is a great beat to be very happy and dance around the world. books i read rarely those that are considered great art. i did this really relative personality test once. it said that i used to be quiet, very serious, painfully shy and that something came and forced me to be the opposite. so though i was, it was a barely there. i will still try to accomplish the mission. probably do it backward.

In the meantime, everyone come be creative and play!

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5300362/journey-through-50-shades-of-houzz

thanks.

aprilneverends thanked havingfun
  • Lars
    5 years ago

Mine would be the fragment novel Heinrich von Ofterdingen by romantic German writer Novalis. When I got my degree in German, I focused on the romantic period and still like romantic German literature. I also like folk tales from Germany, Russia, and pre-Columbian America. In German literature, folk tales do not have an author, but Märchen (fairy tales) do have a known author, most of the in the romantic period. The Grimm brothers collected German folk tales (not fairy tales) as a by-product of their research into the German language, and they started the first comprehensive German dictionary, using the folk tales they collected to help with the etymology of the words. I like folk tales and fairy tales equally but do not consider them as the same. Most English and French translations of Russian and German folk tales leave out a lot of interesting (if scary) details, but German translations of Russian folk tales generally leave them in. I've only read a few folk tales in Russian, but they were very close to the German translations but did include a few extra details.

aprilneverends thanked Lars
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago

April - I was in Ukraine. Had a couple of short holiday breaks in Tallinn - now there's a very special city! And Moscow - but that was not a city I could "take to." Although the Pushkin was a revelation.

aprilneverends thanked jmm1837
  • kathleen MK
    5 years ago
    interesting topic. Like my house I have a jumble of answers. I want it to be Claude De Bussey's Claire de Lune and Claude Monet's Waterlily and some Jazz and Rock in the kitchen. Reality is more " Pictures at an Exhibition" and " Just another Manic Monday." It is an ever changing vision as Carole King's Tapistry. A collection of loved family pieces, classic and casual furnishings and more clutter than I care to admit.
    aprilneverends thanked kathleen MK
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago

What an interesting thread. I was most drawn to Adoration of the Magi by Gentile da Fabriano at the Uffizi in Florence. The colors, the warmth, the animals, the subject matter, the entire feeling. After the trip, I came home and started making changes at home. DH often joked it was the most expensive trip ever. Later, I purchased a sepia etching and framed. Seeing the detail again, I need to look for an etching in color.

Detail

I am like kathleen - A collection of loved family pieces, classic and casual furnishings and more clutter than I care to admit.

btw, I just purchased tickets to see Queen in Vegas. So excited!

aprilneverends thanked Allison0704
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

(don't mind me not replying-you open new worlds for me-so I'm reading and seeing and listening..you can say I'm deep diving..it's hard to talk when one's diving..

• havingfun
    5 years ago

when i was a young reader, i was fairly ill for a couple years. My mother brought me folk and fairy tales from around the world. Actually, up until recently i had not realized that much of my belief system comes from these books. This is because like other more important books the stories held values and were used as a way to teach the young. the most recent related was rumplestilskin. which is why you do not automatically call someone by their first name and family is important. it is they that will protect you from those looking to injure you. blood ties and area ties were very important and relevant. true for most of the stories.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

why do people keep removing their posts. please do not believe i am ever judging you, sometimes i say things wrong due to oxygen, if i do not understand, i wish you to explain. please.

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

again I'm missin on something..

haven't seen the removed comments. I sure hope it was nothing you know..bad?

Just want to share my experience. Once, while awaiting to hear some news-important news-I opened a thread- to ask, but also frankly to make my waiting for the news more bearable. Within 20 minutes of me opening the thread I heard the news..

I couldn't talk, walk, I couldn't do anything but shake and sob. Much less respond to comments-if such comments were to appear. Nobody answered yet. I removed the thread 'cause I felt my mind is far away, and it'd be not fair to other people..

I sure hope it's not the usual reasons for people to remove their posts or comments..I just know it might have nothing to do with whatever happens/doesn't happen in the thread.

It's a strange thing..I feel like like my own thread eludes me..:)

but it lead me to think..each time we create something-it eludes us to a degree..it has life of its own, it's not under our complete control anymore

and maybe, probably, houses are also such things since they are also created by us, at least to a big degree

they're ours-yet them being ours has inside this promise of elusiveness...

so sabbath I can relate very well(or so I think)) to whatever you said..

you said "sometimes my Interior Designer doesn’t get my raw edginess...I like art that has emotion behind it which is usually sad."

I also love such art..

And I love very funny things too

And it's hard to bring it together. Even though if I think long enough it makes perfect sense to want to bring them together. It reminds life the most. Since life will always, always have both

Like this Rita's art of beautiful, gorgeous, broken cup..

It took me many months to even realize that that's what I want for my house to be. And a thread that I opened here a while ago helped..it pushed me to think..and took me, once again, months until I was able to somehow explain it to myself, even partially

And yours, everybody's here, ability to put your feeling into words is nothing short of amazing to me

You know me-I google everything you mention if I don't know it..:) and I don't know a lot...

so I've a long way before me

it's not because I have to. it's because I want to.

havingfun sometimes I so, so sorely wish we'd share another language. I have this great poem on my mind, by very well known Ukrainan/Russian poet I love..about not calling somebody by their first name, symbolical of course. I'm dying to share it. Yet I'm not good enough to translate it..so I can't.

• dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

Wonderful thread. Thank you April for starting it and everyone for posting. I'm late, probably too late, so I will quickly add that "Our House" by Crosby, Stills & Nash describes us, my art tastes are eclectic, and music is important and specific to time, place, and mood. Oh, and like others I have read Pride & Prejudice over and over, in good times and bad, about every other year since I was 14 and 14 was a long time ago.

aprilneverends thanked dragonflywings42
  • hooked123
    5 years ago

I told Ilikefriday about graffiti that I had photographed and I told her the gist of what it said but that I couldn’t post it because it had two bad words. She asked me to post it anyway as she wanted to see it. I did but told her that I would immediately remove it after just a few minutes, and I did. I would not ever want to offend anyone. I do delete posts sometimes if I was rambling or I think they were irrelevant. Sometimes I ramble. I also deleted the clean (no bad words) graffiti that I had photographed as I just posted it for Ilikefriday and thought no one else would want to see it.

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

sabbath7 - I just realized that you are the person with the fantastic art in on your bedroom dresser that I commented about on the other thread. It looked like maybe a charcoal drawing of a kid. I would love to see that artwork you posted on this thread the other day and commented about the eye.

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Love all three! Especially the first one.

• hooked123
    5 years ago

Thanks Ilikefriday! Her eyes really are so full of emotion. I have had guests ask what she might be thinking...I just say we’ll never know because she has no mouth and they laugh. I like how her hair looks like a water color.

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Do you know who the artist is?

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, the first one. I love it. It reminds me of Silence of the Lambs for some reason.

• hooked123
    5 years ago

Laughing out loud about Silence of the Lambs! The frame on that painting is an antique, it has the most gorgeous patina, almost glowing. I feel like frames are art too. Each of the paintings are special to me. I read so many things into each one. I have some gorgeous etchings too. I really love etchings. The third painting’s frame almost matches the jewelry in her hair.

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

• hooked123
    5 years ago

Very Interesting! I am going to delete them now, because I need to go to sleep and I like my anonymity and those paintings are not easily forgotten. So glad we got to talk about art. I needed to stay up late and work on a project and was dreading doing so and you made it fun! Thanks!

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dragonflywings you've arrived just on time..

sabbath I absolutely love your art

maybe I'll post some of mine..later..

Ingrid you're right, about photography..it's a separate art.

For example how one can even see my house for real, without seeing my netsuke lol? To me, they're part of my story.. and they'll seem like amorphous dots on whatever I'd be able to produce..

my DS's been taking digital photography this semester though..rather enjoying it. I could have asked him. Oh I could have asked him yesterday..Mother's Day, all that jazz. Wasn't on my mind though. I had no hoss.

I love my house more than I like its pictures, that's for sure

But to be frank, not every day. I think it should be more..well I know it's work in progress but still.

And sometimes I'm not sure it's because of the house itself. Speaking of folk tales, would be nice if it indeed had chicken legs..or wings. Wings, these would be cool too.

(here another yet poem-I-can't-translate comes to mind.

It's actually very sad poem. It's beautiful. Ends something like

"If you wish for your house to fly-

Burn it"

• My House
    5 years ago

What an interesting thread! Unfortunately, I'm too late to see Sabbath7's art.

Lars, Thank you! I did not know that about the German & Russian Fairy & Folk tales keeping the scary bits. Recently, I saw a film Tale of Tales that was based on the book Pentamerone, by Basile. It is a collection of Italian scary fairy stories. The old hag sisters' story was fantastic! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltTGwmo13FE

The song: Gecko, by The Creatures would fit my house's Indonesian coastal theme. Although I live in snow country, it's comforting to have my island home. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-wPaaK3wNiI

Here is the mood board for my latest project - guest room:

Front room:

Dining room

Family room:

Laundry room wall art:

aprilneverends thanked My House
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

your room is promising to be gorgeous, DK Haas. I remember the bench from your other thread..

I put "Tale of Tales" on my to watch list

(it's a pretty long list lol)

Fairy tales..yes, they didn't adapt them back then..or else my Mom didn't buy them adapted..

Now I see more concern as not to scare kids too much. But as I was exposed to non adapted versions-I didn't like adapted versions when I became a mom either. I don't like things being distilled to such a big degree...

We call everything fairy tales in Russian, but we add "folk fairy tale" or "literary fairy tale" when wanting to add a distinction.

The most frightening-to me- fairy tale by Brothers' Grimm happenned to be the one where the evil stepmother sends the little boy to bring apples from their cellar, and apples are in that heavy iron chest-and she goes behind him and while he's kneeling to get the apples she's closing the heavy top on him so hard his head gets cut off and tumbles onto the apples..

many years after I was a waiter-summer job-in a small cafe in Tel Aviv. We heard an explosion..it was a bus, couple blocks from us, around the corner. It was a first explosion I heard, -and it all suddenly became real. The country, the me in the country..beforehand it was a bit foggy, being a newcomer, you know?,,

Then at some point people started coming to the cafe, pale, shaken, wanting to have a glass of drink..they happenned to see it..I remember them saying, "His head was torn off his body, it rolled away next to the wall..I saw his head.." (I suppose he was the guy who blew up that bus)

in short, I dont do well with anything decapitation

sometimes I even check that my head is still on my shoulders))

(I have my "Judith" painting but it's special..it doesn't show the act..it shows her face only-and no triumph on that face...actually, she's immensely sad. Like somebody killed her instead. Makes her extremely relatable..because that's how normal person would look like, you know? would feel like..)

In short. I think fairy tales do a damn good job being fairy tales, you know?..

I for sure don't do anything to lighten this thread, do I?..

I miss not seeing sabbath's art anymore though I understand very well..I like my privacy too. (given that, was especially smart of me to have the same nickname for the last ten years across all world wide web lol)

I said once I'll show you my new art..let me do that now because seems like a fitting thread.

We put her in a black floating frame..I'm still picking where to put her. I know the room; I even knew the spot, but while she was leaning-I understood I'd see her better where she's currently leaning. I'd see her all the time. But others won't. Unless they really travel to the corner of the room(which is my favorite spot to sit)

If I put her where I intended her to be-everybody will see her. But I won't see her as often then..and it's a pity, because if one looks at her long enough-well when I look at her long enough-she starts smiling, ever so slightly. And strangely, it's not scary at all.

I have another, much smaller painting by him..I wonder whether it's the same girl, just when younger

it's called "Somewhere"

it's next to the bed..and I kinda don't have any wish to take it anywhere where others will see it. no wish to hang it, frame it, display it more prominently..

(here it is, you saw it already

Whoever sees it though gets it right away. and they say it. It's very strange feeling. I feel more exposed in my own bedroom with people who know me well, than now, showing it to you

I have lots of art I'd want to show you..

(but my Pinterst Board is much much much bigger and more impressive of course))))

I love all sorts of techniques, including etchings, enamel, gesso, oil, acrilic, watercolor, ink, colored pencils, you name it..I have one art where I have no idea what a technique is actually..it's a clown(surprize, right? lol. It's my side of the bed.)..I can't find the whole pic of him right now and this post is getting too long..he's a very kind clown..does somebody know the technique, if you can see anything at all of course, from the photo?

I don't know what's better-when I write something, or when I don't.

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

April - You seem like a really interesting person. I love art too but I have no idea what technique was used to create your clown.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

For me as a child, the scariest character in Russian folk tales was Baba Yaga with her house on chicken legs - at least when my mother read that to me. In college, I got a German translation of a collection of Russian folk tales, and I translated the story Maria Morevna and the Evil Sorcerer (Koshchei), and the descriptions of the sorcerer were quite vivid but missing in the English translations. Note that this says that descriptions of Koshchei are missing in the tales, but they are missing only in the English and French translations. I later got a Russian copy of the story, which was almost identical to the German translation, but it did have a few more minor details, but the vivid description of Koshchei was the same.

It does appear that Russian folk tales are all called fairy tales, at least in English, but perhaps none of the stories have a known author, such as Hans Christian Anderson, Charles Perrault, or Ludwig Tieck, and so there is no need to make a distinction.

Here is a typical image of Koshchei

but it does not look much like the description in the original story, in which he had huge leathery bat-like wings and was shackled by heavy chains in a dungeon.

By the way, I do suffer from coulrophobia.

aprilneverends thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There are some literary fairy tales by Russian authors

(I had a book with a collection of them. I don't remember all the authors. My Mom still has this one.

It had folk fairy tales too. Two parts.

Also had wondefully illustrated book written by Ershov. Fairy tale in verses. The illustrations were etchings I think.

.Pushkin wrote some famous fairy tales in verses..Bazhov did, his was prose-he based them on Ural folklore, so it was a collection that he worked on)

Koshchei looks very much like a skeleton, yes..nothing from this Chekhov's quote about how everything should be beautiful in a person:) This one is ugly inside and out lol. The illustration pictures him in much more advantageous light, I don't know why.

We use quite a lot of sayings from different fairy tales..one of them is called " Go there-I don't know where, bring me some-I don't know what":)

Much later one of the Soviet actors/writers, already in Perestroika times, put on it a very funny spin of his own, by making it a long play in verses.

I read many fairy tales that are folk of other regions or countries. Remember couple very scary ones from Angola

Also I noticed that in some Chinese fairy tales, there was not an evil stepmother, but evil venfegul school teacher..))

My daughter strongly dislikes my kind clown(evil ones, I dislike myself..the guy in the gallery though asked me, like, ten times, whether I'm sure I'm comfortable with this clown) thus it's in my room. And I solemnly promised to never take it out of there. I actually chose him , among other things, because he reminded me somehow of my gorgeous, incredibly kind sister..same kind smile. I told my DD that and she laughed hysterically and implored me to never tell that to my sister.

• User
    5 years ago

My current home, Imagine by John Lennon and A wonderful World by Louis Armstrong. For my home, home, my country, From Clare to Here.

for the family home that I left, the place I raised my children, Somewhere over the Rainbow. I miss them so much. I miss those years.

aprilneverends thanked User
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

April, there must be something wrong with me. Your clown doesn't look sinister to me at all. The clown looks like she/he knows something we don't know, but I don't feel it threatening.

Louise, happy childhoods build a home inside of us we take everywhere, whether our home is a hovel or a palace. You have made many very happy homes through your children.

PS Yes, I know I sound pretty corny.

aprilneverends thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • My House
    5 years ago

Lars, I confess: I had to look that one up.

April & Lars.... Have you seen this 1964 Russian film Father Frost. It is live-action? Yes, Baba Yaga & her chicken leg house makes an appearance. Fast forward to 44:17

Here it is in Russian. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOG9t1kFrf4

Fairy Tale lessons: BE POLITE or toads and snakes will come out of your mouth. Illustrator : Gordon Laite. Something about his illustration (below) makes me think of Pantone's colors

aprilneverends thanked My House
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

Please excuse me if I get this wrong, but I read a folk tale when I was young and I have never forgotten the way it made me feel - the scary part - however the details are lost. It was about a child that had to go up to the attic to get something and the family had axes and knives and other sharp things hanging from the rafters in a precarious way. I always wanted the child to refuse to go. Hmmm, I have always been very nervous about sharp things - maybe this is why.

aprilneverends thanked dragonflywings42
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I remember the fairy tale itself but don't remember seeing that movie.

Obviously there were many fairy tales(and accordingly, movies) with Babas Yagas, and these were capricious creatures..some were pure evil, some were actually ready to help the hero(or heroine), shared with him secrets, gave him some sort of magic power or an "assistant" to overcome the enemies etc. They liked being addressed politely..)) Babas Yagas..One could be lucky to find their ways to a Baba Yaga's heart..))

House in the movie happens to have very thick chicken legs which makes me think they made it as live as possible..gave the house proper support..

on illustrations legs are thinner and taller

one movie that was iconic-and broadcasted always on New Year's Eve, or right after, was the movie "The adventures of Masha and Vitya"-two kids from our time, kindergarteners, find themselves in the magic forest with Baba Yaga, Koschei, Leshii (another forest creature) etc. Obviously they win and manage to save Snegurochka(Frather Frost had a granddaughter..Snow Maiden(but she was kind unlike Andersen's Snow Queen))) due to their wit, and bravery-knowing modern science and remembering how fairy tales go, helps:) It was favorite movie of many little kids, I still remember the song.

"..he who's honest, brave, and kind,

he's a real wizard!"

They also broadcasted-a favorite of all kids-a special program on Sunday..a fairy tale, or a movie that somehow contains magic-each Sunday would be a different one. A whole big movie!

We had only 3 TV programs, and very few things offered to kids, we cherished those Sundays)

They had this song with which they started, and of course I remember it too.

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As for graffiti some of them are incredibly cool and I collect them onto my Pinterest Art Board too..))

It's a pity one can't always stop and take a pic..there are several very cool ones in LA. But we're always driving past them..hurrying somewhere..

In Paris, I was able to walk around, take pics of every graffiti I liked..nowhere to hurry..

ilikefriday I wish I had your talent. or some other talent will do as well..

and no Rita, it doesn't sound corny. For it's too true..

Dk Haas they do remind of Pantone, because Pantone had emerald as color of the year, something purple as color of the year, etc..during past decade..))

Fine illustrations.

I had "Cinderella" illustrated in black and white-I was like 3 or 4, but wow, I remember them like yesterday. such great job, this illustrator did.

• eastautumn
    5 years ago

Interesting read!

Mine is going to seem pretty superficial and obvious, but if I had to pick one piece of art to represent our house it would be The Story, by Brandi Carlile. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing (painting the woodwork and shelving my husband had recently built in our daughter's room) when I first heard it. After blinking the tears out of my eyes, I went and scribbled down some of the lyrics so I could go look it up later.

Brandi Carlile is now one of my favorite artists and I love so much of her work, but there's just something about that first song of hers that I ever heard. We'd recently adopted our first child and so much of it makes me think of her (she's now a "tween"), some of it makes me think of my husband, and then because our house was a labor of love (still is), it also makes me think of our home. After traveling and moving so much before finally settling down, I've now lived in the same home for a quarter of my life and it feels pretty good to grow some roots.

aprilneverends thanked eastautumn
  • aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

before I listen to the song (wow, I learn so many new things in this thread.)..eastautumn that's my feeling I guess..I can't grow roots as much as I try-so let it be chicken legs instead..

it's been a bit more a year since we've moved, and we put so much into this house, and we're in love with it, both me and my DH, and already I'm mentally preparing myself to move..looking around "this, i'll be able to take, this, I won't.."

• User
    5 years ago

Rita, not corny at all. Thank you. And I did tear up. I am pretty corny myself.

aprilneverends thanked User
  • rebecca_adia
    5 years ago

How did I miss this lovely thread? So much art mentioned to explore.

as for me— hard question! I’ll stick to music as the art form. . .

I love many different genres, but folk tends to be my favorite. Thus my leanings toward cottage/farmhouse pieces. Music and decor that alludes to wide open spaces and simplicity. i also dont consider myself to have particularly sophisticated taste. I think I have a decent sense for what looks pleasing, but I’m not a cutting edge type. So, the music that reflects my home probably would have a heavy pop element— able to be appreciated by ‘the masses’ ;)

but my continual tension—I dont relate in the least to the mindset of homogeneity that often, in the US, seems to accompany certain folk expressions.

I love, and resonate with, so many different elements of different cultures— and I love strong doses of bright colors and shiny things.

I think a piece that might come closest to what I want my home to be, would be Carolina Chocolate Drops/ Rhiannon Giddins’ cover of ‘Hit em up Style’.

The instrumentation is pure folk but the original song itself that they’re covering, as many know, is pure pop/R&B. And the cover is just so well done, which is something we all aspire to I think. It’s a cover that really transforms the original song drastically.

adjectives/phrases that I think describe this song: ‘fun’, ‘interesting’, ‘ wait I’ve heard that before but this is a fresh take on it!’

Those kinds of descriptors are what I’d like people to say about my house too, in an ideal world :)

aprilneverends thanked rebecca_adia
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    5 years ago

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I was a teen, I was given a calligraphy kit. I used to copy phrases, poems etc, to improve my skill. One thing I copied was this by the Roman poet Horace (12/08/65 BC - 11/27/08 BC).

"This used to be among my prayers -

A piece of land not so very large,

which would contain a garden,

and near the house a spring of ever-flowing water,

and beyond these a bit of wood.'

Several years later, I bought my house, and it will be my ONLY house if I have my way, as I love it and the setting so much. I put in several gardens and did a lot of work to the yard. Then many years after that, I was digging through my craft supplies, and found that old poem I had copied to practice calligraphy, over 20 years before. I had completely forgotten it, but I got goosebumps when I read the poem again.

See why, when you see part of my back yard - gardens, the river with 'ever-flowing water', and the woods behind my property. (garden shed on the left, where the original owner and builder of the house in 1937 built furniture as a hobby.)

aprilneverends thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

East i love that song, i think i will be stealing part for my renewal vows, it is perfect! I am sorry i missed someones art. april, those clowns remind me of a russian painting i saw about a year ago - back when i was super poor, it was $200 and giant, the woman was looking over your shoulder with the strangest look. I was positive i would figure it out if i could stare hard enough. or maybe i would just cheat and put something cool back there.

i did think of this before i saw it. my houses song would be our house. ,mine would be tapestry by c king. my soul would be wild thing. lol

• aprilneverends
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I always thought there's only one clown..the one that can be barely seen here(I do have a full pic somewhere but I won't post it since others' reaction differs from mine sometimes)..the rest are just girls dressed as Pierrot..:)

I arrived to a conclusion folk might be my favorite too, rebecca. well one of. not that I know a lot about music genres. I'm into what they call indie folk lately-as I discovered. I always loved ballads too.

Once when my best friend had her birthday party (I was 6, she was 5) I got invited of course..we had all sorts of games and competitions back then at the parties..so at some point, everyone was called to recite a poem.

So I really loved "Tam Lin". And that's what I recited, with big emotion(and probably poor diction lol). The grown ups looked at me in a way that was a bit weird..))

I love this poem My3dogs..and yes, some things become, in some strange way, prediction..

(I wrote a poem once about my future house..it was a white small house..walls looked like stucco.. surrounded by a garden..one storey..very strange since I lived then in a big city so no clear idea where I got that image..well I was a teen then..and not Horace too, as you well can imagine..))

but it's strange that life took me to a small white house surrounded by a garden..

The garden has different plants since it's in a different hemisphere and all..lol.

I do have some roses though. That house from the poem, it had roses.

It was a bit more proud, a bit stubborn. Like a little camel. This one, a real one, is more..a different animal. It's less proud. It's more mischievous though.

Then I never lived in a house I imagined many years ago. Maybe if it existed -I'd discover other things about it.

I've so much to listen to yet..and to look at.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

i too love folk. and amy i am deeply touched that you would like to share the poem with me.

I looked a while back and could no longer find all the folk tale books my mom got me. I do not remember some of the scary things like you all said. i think mine were written in the fifties to early60s. but i remember i read russian polish, norwegian, india indian, i mean everywhere, it was fascinating. I have read so much since then, i really don't remember the stories anymore, except when i need the info. has anyone checked the great american reading contest on pbs. top 100 books ever written though i like others as much.