SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdaltonrobertson28

Cryptomeria Radicans Brown at New Growth- Please Help

J D
5 years ago

Last fall I planted a very small cryptomeria radicans next to three big ones. The small one was on sale and was brown all over (see photo). I have used and trusted the nursery I bought it from for years, and they told me that it was not diseased, just outgrowing its pot and probably underwatered. Well, I planted it and its new growth is OK. The brown remains.

Problem is the nearby cryps have shown some brown, especially at the leader/new growth. The trees receive adequate water and are planted properly. After doing some research, the safest course of action seemed to be to remove the problematic leader, provide a gentle fertilizer (I am not a fan of fertilizer as I believe that trees do just fine on their own when planted properly in proper location and soil), and wait. I used Tree Tone at recommended rate and removed leader and any browned tips with clean and sharp loppers.

But I am concerned that the small tree I planted was, in fact, diseased, and now it will spread further/again to the other trees. I have taken a photo of the small tree, the leader, and a close up of some unique damage to the leader. Could someone diagnose what this might be and whether a copper fungicide is indicated? Also, should I remove the small tree?

I need some help here. Getting nervous......

Thanks

John

SMALL TREE: new growth seems ok

Leader of tree next door, brown everywhere

Close up of leader

Photo of big tree after dead leader trim

Comment