SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Anyone Picking Up Chicks?

artemis_ma
6 years ago

Okay, now that I got your attention with the chick-bait....

Anyone raising baby chicks for either eggs or dinner, or even just for pets? I got two batches of day old chicks this past week. Yes, one batch are broilers (8), but the others (10 plus one cockerel) are for laying eggs. The cockerel will putatively grow up to protect his harem.

First photos are the broilers. I love the wings. 4 red and 4 black.

The next is the batch of layers, which arrived yesterday, photo taken this morning.

3 buff Orpingtons, 2 buckeyes, 2 black Australorpes, 1 golden-tipped Wyandotte, 3 silver-tipped Wyandottes (one of which is male).

All lay brown eggs, all are supposedly docile and cold-tolerant.

Anyone else???

Comments (25)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

2 pics of my daughter's chicks... one from last month, one from this month. Don't remember the breeds but they're suppose to be good layers. She has discovered one is a rooster. If he doesn't behave, she has a home for him.

artemis_ma thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • basilcook3
    6 years ago

I wish we could, but the allergies keep us from. But they are adorable Artemis! I love the buckeye ones.

Moonie, those are also cute. They are getting pretty big!

artemis_ma thanked basilcook3
  • Related Discussions

Anyone need a mid winter 'pick me up'?

Q

Comments (8)
    Why thank you Jill. :) I am glad you enjoyed my little piece of heaven!!! I have actually lived in my home for 26 years, but have only been seriously gardening for about the past 10 or 12 years. When I purchased my home, the landscaping was nil. One large oak tree (which is still here) and one pine that had to come down due to pine beetles. Everything else had been planted by little old me! I'm telling you now Jill, there's a lot of my sweat, watering the grounds around my home!!! I'm not sure which photo you're asking about. Most of them have the plants names in the description I think. Thanks again for your sweet comments. Jan
    ...See More

Free sod for pick up. Anyone interested ? (Winnipeg)

Q

Comments (4)
    Anyone with turf/sod left over should put it on ebay straight away. It should be laid fresh and an ebay auction starting at a minimal price would be the quickest way to shift it Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Turf
    ...See More

Anyone have Copper Canyon? Help,pick up granite tomorrow

Q

Comments (3)
    You might like taking a look at my kitchen. I have butternut maple and capella (also known as Golden Ray so you may want to look under that name as well) so it doesn't have that big contrast diffence but I love it (and so do a lot of other people)
    ...See More

IKEA Pick up for Burlington Vt - anyone?

Q

Comments (6)
    But we don't like the looks of the standard plain old wood vanity :). And, they actually are not really less expensive. For the cost of delivery charges, I would fly there and get to visit family to boot...while enjoying the sleek and modern lines of the IKEA vanity.
    ...See More
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I don't have any chicks, but I sure do reap the benefits of a friend's chickens. What a difference in the quality of the eggs.

artemis_ma thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, egg quality is amazingly different. I have been getting eggs from local farmers and a farmer's market or two.

The golden-tipped Wyandotte.

In foreground, black Australorpe, next to buff Orpington. In the back, a silver-tipped Wyandotte.

• kadefol
    6 years ago

They are precious!! I am pretty sure if we had chickens I would never be able to eat chicken again.

artemis_ma thanked kadefol
  • phyllis__mn
    6 years ago

DD keeps me in eggs, which I appreciate. They recently had roast chicken, since two of their flock turned out to be roosters.

artemis_ma thanked phyllis__mn
  • lily316
    6 years ago

I wish so bad I could "do" chickens but can't. My neighbor up the street just got some new chicks. they're bigger every day I pass. I would love to have fresh eggs because I eat one every day but I would never ever kill a pet chicken to eat it.

artemis_ma thanked lily316
  • socks
    6 years ago

My friend's chickens, raised inside until the last week or so, still very young. They are afraid to go outside the barn, prefer to stay inside.

artemis_ma thanked socks
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

They need to have a safe place to run around outside, get plenty of sunshine, eat crawly things and graze on weeds. Their eggs won't even be very nutritious without some free range activity.

artemis_ma thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I'm jealous. But I'm also lazy. :(

artemis_ma thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Super cute, but I don't understand how people can raise and eat them. To me, it would be like eating my cat! I wouldn't mind eggs though. I pay a fortune for pastured eggs.

artemis_ma thanked Chi
  • anneliese32
    6 years ago

Considered way back around 1950 to start a poultry farm. We had the land, I had the knowledge and raising chickens for the eggs was profitable in Germany. Then It dawned on me that if I would want to make a living from them, I would have to slaughter the older chickens. That was the end of that idea. Our few chickens at home all died from old age.

artemis_ma thanked anneliese32
  • jrb451
    6 years ago

Nice artemis_ma, et al. We had chickens back n the day. Ever see the film “The Egg and I”? That was us. Good times!

artemis_ma thanked jrb451
  • adellabedella_usa
    6 years ago

I'd love to pick up four chicks. It's against the rules here. That's ok for now. I'd love to have fresh eggs, but my chicks will be pets and not for food.

artemis_ma thanked adellabedella_usa
  • User
    6 years ago

Chickens make great pets. I have a friend who had the sweetest pet Rooster too. She used to paint his nails with her nail polish. He seemed to love any/all attention. I've also been nuzzled by cows and seen their affection for their calves.....

It's the sole reason I became a vegetarian. I'm not making any value judgments with that statement and I'm not trying to "convert" anyone - I'm just saying for me, once I saw the affection, personalities, and emotions of so many critters, I realized I couldn't in good conscience eat them anymore.

I'd love to have some pet chickens for eggs...maybe once I retire. :)

artemis_ma thanked User
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jrb, I haven't seen the film, but will look for it!

For the broilers, I have started off with the mindset that they will become food, and my goal is that they have only "one bad day", which will be quick.

I find it harder and harder to justify (for myself) eating supermarket birds or other forms of meat - that I don't see how they live in their factory farms first hand simply means (for me) that if I am to remain an omnivore, I should try my best to source meats from direct farmers who raise their birds (and livestock) on pasture. (Honoring the "chickenness of the chicken" as Joel Salatin would say...) And, at least this year, do it myself. I may indeed find I don't want to do this again in the future. Yes, I will bring in someone with experience to do in the birds when their time comes, as after all, I do want that "one bad day" to be quick.

The broilers will be in a chicken tractor when old enough, and the layers will be in a coop with outside access, and an eventual tractor of their own.

They can't be entirely free-range, as we have a sizeable population of foxes and hawks in the area.

While my broilers are not that Cornish Cross (which will die a painful death if allowed to "live"), they're not going to be as hardy as the heritage egg laying breeds I received on Monday.

Patriceny, I totally respect and appreciate your viewpoint, and your reason for becoming vegetarian. I have several friends who have done the same. I actually understand this better than someone who told me last weekend, that he'd never want to eat one of my birds (I guess because he actually saw them in person for five minutes??), but is still content to eat the supermarket factory-farmed ones.

EDIT to ADD: I do also understand those who will eat chicken who cannot eat their own chickens they are raising, because they've gotten attached to them during the period of raising them, and have actually interacted with those specific ones. This is my first year at this, we shall see at this farmstead...

• User
    6 years ago

Artemis, if someone is going to eat meat - doing it the way you're doing it is approximately a million times better than the factory-farming/grocery store chickens. Those poor factory-farmed birds are basically tortured (in my opinion). Your critters will live a normal, happy life. Doing it your way is the "honest" way. Too many people just want to pick up the neat little cellophane packages in the grocery store and don't know and/or don't care what happened to that animal prior to that point.

People who hunt for their own food, or who raise their own animals for food, I genuinely have no quibble with. It's not something I could personally do - but I'm not delusional enough to think the human race is all going to become vegetarian. :) Factory farming is a nasty, cruel business and something I will have no part of.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • Chi
    6 years ago

I've been a vegetarian for 19 years now, I think, and I agree completely about factory farming, artemis. I couldn't eat something I raised, but it's magnitudes more humane than buying meat from a grocery store, so I applaud that. If you're going to eat meat, raising it yourself (or supporting ethical farmers) is the best way to do it. I wish everyone thought that way.

artemis_ma thanked Chi
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I buy all of my meat directly from a farm. I wouldn't touch grocery store meat. But I live in a small farming community where fresh privatly raised beef, pork, poultry is quite available. I do not find the prices to be much higher but maybe because this is a small community. The taste from a fresh farm chicken is very different from store bought that's pumped full of garbage as is the poor animials diet. There are people though that just don't have access to fresh hand raised in a humane manner meats snd have to rely on the grocery stores. I'm sure not judging anyone. I don't eat much meat myself. I'm not a vegetarian I just don't care for meat. Thats not to say I never eat it. Lol

I would love to raise some chickens. We have the perfect property to do it and my kids love chicken but we don't use many eggs outside of an occasional omelet or for baking, deviled eggs once in awhile or potato salad. In other words I couldn't use a daily supply of eggs. I could probably just give them away. Something to think about anyway.

Artemis, nice chicks you have.

artemis_ma thanked mamapinky0
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I look forward to the day when I can again have chickens.

artemis_ma thanked marilyn_c
  • jrb451
    6 years ago

artemis, The Egg & I is a movie with Claudet Cobert and Fred McMurray. Speaking of “McMurray”, (like the segue here?) we ordered 25 day old, unsexed chicks from McMurray Hatchery. (This was back in the 1970s and I was trying to save $.) Eighteen of them turned out to be cockerels. At 6 weeks they started fighting each other. It was a big mess.

artemis_ma thanked jrb451
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Jrb, I knew many of the family, and one of the the family ( I never found out who it was) married into the family tree. One of my kids went to school with one of the girls kids

artemis_ma thanked greenshoekitty
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago

A way back when I was on the farm (1940s), ordering chicks was a rite of spring. Our normal order was 2 to 3 dozen hens and 10 roosters. The hens were to replace our oldest laying hens and we'd start eating the young roosters when they were about 8 weeks old. Young roosters before they become fully mature are the best fryers.

The ratio we strove for in the chicken yard was about 10 hens per rooster. This seemed to keep all of them happy. These were free range chickens.

The hatchery has a problem with extra roosters because farmers want mostly hens for egg production. Therefore, if you order chicks without specifying the sex, those will be cheaper and the hatchery will unload a bunch of roosters on you.

A friend of our family worked at a hatchery and his job was to sort the newly hatched chicks into bins of male and female. He got paid based on the number of chicks sorted and accuracy. (I couldn't think of a more boring job, but some sorters were more gifted than others and they got higher pay.)

artemis_ma thanked jemdandy
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

Awwww. We used to keep chickens for eggs, and we've had a couple of nice pet roosters who were extras. We couldn't keep the wild critters out of the hen house--they'd take advantage of any little break in the wire, and even a big rooster can't defend the hens in the middle of the night.

My DD keeps chickens, including Auracanas, so we still get fresh brown, green, and blue eggs, and I don't have to clean the hen house. ;) I do miss having a box of peeping babies in front of the fireplace.

artemis_ma thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH