SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sasha_martin69

Budget way to modernize 1950's ranch?

Sasha Martin
5 years ago

I'm in a 1950's neighborhood that's going through flips and teardown/rebuilds. The value of the homes are going up, fast. We've already done a major kitchen reno to remove the galley kitchen in favor of an open floor plan. We are now turning our attention to the outside of the home and the curb appeal.

I'm a little at a loss when it comes to visualizing and prioritizing what to spend effort on for the most bang for our buck - we think it needs new windows and siding (in fresh colors). I've always dreamed of having a functional porch for sitting (perhaps on the right side). And I would love the large window to open since there's no way to get air flow in the house otherwise. The roof is fairly new so we probably can't change the color. I thought perhaps white trim and light blue siding would complement the roof color.

I'm not much for modern aesthetic, typically I favor traditional windows and a cottage feel. We added the blue shutters and the swirly/Victorian brown wood detail along the top of the porch (might be hard to see). We also added the rail maybe years ago, when my daughter was a toddler - there was nothing but posts before. There were no plants when we moved in - we've slowly enhanced the plantings over the years.

I realize all these ideas aren't cheap - and are perhaps not realistic. Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!