SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newcoyote

Katsura Koncerns.

newcoyote
6 years ago

I take care of a garden in White Rock BC which is near Vancouver. This site is relatively new to me so I don't have much historical knowledge. I want to know if there is any hope of salvaging a few Cercidiphyllum japonicum trees and what might be the cause. There are several other specimens very close by that are healthy. The trees of concern have wilted leaves at the top and the bark is flaking. I have noticed at the base, a long time ago there were cuts made to remove separate trunks. (see photos). The trunk at the base looks pretty deformed where the tree tried to seal over the wound. I think this may be the problem (Water transport?) I tried to take the best photos I could but I'm not sure how well it shows. It looks worse in person than I was able to get in photos. I took some leaves from the healthy tree(right) and put them beside the bad(left) for comparison. Thanks for any help. I'd really like to try and keep these but am not that optimistic.

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Probably a water related issue, such as damage from the hot summer we had last year. Or a root pathogen such as honey fungus interfering with hydration of the top by attacking and diminishing the root system.

This situation may require a consultant who can visit the site and poke around in the soil in person in order for the problem to be identified.

Maybe including sending samples to a lab for diagnosis.

newcoyote thanked Embothrium
  • Mike McGarvey
    6 years ago

I would cut it down and put it out of it's agony. It will sprout at the base. Choose one to grow and eliminate the rest of the sprouts later in the season.