SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debwa

Kitchen task lighting question- Advice appreciated!

debwa
5 years ago

I'm completely renovating my kitchen and seem to have found a gap in terms of skillsets. The kitchen designer said he doesn't "do" lighting. He designed the layout and cabinets. Our contractor said the electrician "does" lighting. However, we talked to the electrician and he didn't have much advice on how many lumens and where in terms of mood and task lighting. He just wires the lights. So I'm turning to the community!

I'd like to have pendant lights over my kitchen island, but some articles I found said that pendant lights are not adequate for task lighting. Others said that they are.

My kitchen island is 24 square feet. I read that 50 footcandles are appropriate for task lighting over countertops. 24 sq ft x 50 footcandles=1200 lumens. The mercury glass pendants I like are 60 watts, which equals about 800 lumens each. If I put up two pendant lights, does that meet the 1200 lumens needed for a 24 sq ft area (since it would equal 1600 lumens), or does each individual light need to equal 1200 lumens (which would take us to 2400 lumens)?

In terms of tasks taking place at the counter, there will be food prep, cake decorating, kids doing homework, and eating.

I've attached my kitchen schematic with the island highlighted in orange. Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!