SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert567

Bonnie killing off the mainstream retail veggie plant market?

robert567
6 years ago

Bonnie has basically made themselves them the sole provider for live vegetable plants in big box and grocery+ stores, at least in many areas. Now without much competition, they have reduced their choices and made their offerings more expensive. Many stores make no effort to take care of the plants ... in my area Lowes is very lazy and lets the plants get damaged, and I visited a Walmart today and it was as bad as I could have imagined. If Bonnie's has gotten stores to commit to them, and sets up their displays for them, why can't Bonnie try to set some standards?

So who is Bonnie trying to sell plants to nowadays? Ignorant or lazy impulse buyers? Almost 4 dollars for one pathetic looking Romaine Lettuce, or one Collard plant, or one Cauliflower plant? For sweet peppers, a choice of generic Red Bell plant, or generic Yellow Bell, or Bonnie's "Best" Green Bell? ("They lied, they all ended up green!") And Banana pepper plant and maybe a Cubanelle if lucky.

High price + very low quality + poor choice = ???. Obvious that a lot if the items do not sell barely at all. Seems like they are trying NOT to sell vegetable starts. Getting less customers to spend more per visit must be the plan. Seems to discourage people from getting into vegetable gardening beyond buying 1 tomato plant.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations