SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Crown rot in overwintered pots. Operator error?

So my coffin idea (on my front porch) didn't turn out to be a great idea for overwintering hosta pots. Can you help me figure out what happened? Here is a picture of the coffin from last fall.

Our fall lasted forever. We didn't have a hard frost until late. I usually am able to just pull the leaves off at some point, but last fall was different. I cut off the leaves in October sometime, because they were not able to be pulled off!

I had a heavy wooden top for the coffin. Usually I left it open by an inch or so. At very cold periods, I sometimes closed it off. I put some ice cubes on the pots once since they seemed so dry. I put a bit of water on them a few weeks ago.

In mid April we had a severe ice storm with snow and high winds. That lasted a couple of days and then we got higher temperatures that caused flooding.

What I am seeing now is that the pots are either (1) not growing at all (2) some eyes have formed or (3) some shoots are growing on one side with nothing on the other side.

I have dismantled a couple of hosta. The crown is soft (not smelly), some roots are rotted, but generally the roots don't look too bad. I took one hosta crown and tried to cut off the soft parts. That turned out to be most of it, so I just threw it out.

So I am wondering whether the coffin was not insulated enough and the pots froze at a critical time; or whether my watering was the cause of my loss. Or both? Any ideas? I can't believe I have all these pots to deal with now.

Comments (21)