SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_norris8

Wind resistant shade trees

Andrew Norris
5 years ago

I am looking to move to the Punta Gorda area, zone 10a, and I want to create a well irrigated, microclimate, in my backyard, using shade trees and understory trees, down to interesting shrubs and flowers. I need some ideas for trees that are less likely to topple in the wind, grow quickly, are fairly low maintanence, though watering won’t be a problem, and those that have a nicely shaped canopy. I am hoping for simple and broad leaf suggestions, with minimum heights being about 15’.

I realize that Ficus and other houseplant-type trees can fare better with selective pruning of the canopy to make the wind pass through, without catching the canopy like a sail and toppling the tree.

I prefer trees like Ficus, well branched oaks ( not the spindly, knarled, sickly live oaks I see in Orlando ), Pachira aquatica, and maybe even Rainbow eucalyptus as the wetter looking area transitions to a more Mediterranean themed garden.

I am eager for your thoughts and ideas, as I’m from a zone 6a-7a, having lived in MD and PA my entire life.

I am a pretty experienced gardener of tropicals indoors and landscape plants, vegetables, and similar things in my area, so I’m not intimidated by plants that need some pruning, feeding, watering, or other things a houseplant might need indoors, but I’d like to avoid things prone to dying in a cold snap, also.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor