SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pittsburrito

vent hood ducting dilemma -- please help!

pittsburrito
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have tried and tried and tried to externally vent and have run into obstacles at every turn (pun?). I feel like giving up!

Situation (feel free to skip to the next paragraph): Our range is set against an interior wall with a foyer and stairwell on the other side of that wall, and a laundry closet's washing machine above it, so we must duct inside the wall cavity itself. There is a stud centered directly behind the range. The left-side bay to that stud is full of plumbing pipes, the right-side bay has an electrical line secured to the interior of each side of that bay's studs, but could fit a 3 1/4 x 10 duct run in between them. We do not know if there is a header or just a top plate between the 1st & 2nd floor. Even if we were able to get up to the attic that way, there is a furnace blocking the straight vertical run path to the roof deck, so that would necessitate two 90 degree elbows in the attic (in addition to the elbows to get into the wall cavity and the estimated 24' duct run from the hood to the roof deck). Overall a ducting nightmare.

Questions:

1. Is it a viable solution to vent the hood straight up (building a soffit over the OTR cabinetry) and then U-turn it into the wall cavity to go straight down into the crawl space and out a side wall? That would be three 90 degree elbows and a 16' duct run overall. (We can't vent straight back into the wall, due to the centered stud and plumbing in the way.) Trying to U-turn air inside the kitchen and against gravity seems like a terrible idea.

2. Is the solution of removing our current OTR cabinetry and installing a Vent-a-hood ARS system any better? Vent-a-hood ARS info: https://ventahood.com/index.php/about/innovation/ars I realize that a recirculating vent over a 48,000 BTU Dual Fuel range is not good (it is what we are trying to fix now by replacing our recirculating OTR microwave with an actual hood), but if the U-turn external venting idea is a no-go, I just don't see any alternative solutions other than the ARS. Do you?

I should mention that this is not a kitchen gut/remodel project. This is merely an attempt to improve our kitchen ventilation. So reconfiguring the layout is not an option for us.

Comments (6)