SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alanna_migliacci

Growing Barrel Catcus indoors in NY and Variety Options

Alanna Migliacci
6 years ago

Hello CactI Lovers!

I've only posted here once or twice. I spend most of my time caring for my citrus and tropicals, but I want to be a better Cacti/succulent parent.

I currently have my dad’s 35 year old golden barrel cactus in rough shape and a few small guys that do okay.

That whole large top portion shot up in the last 2 months. Now it’s destined to be top heavy/tall and skinny. Perhaps, this variety isn’t suited to grow here?

4 These two do okay

The planter isnt the best situation because some seem to like more water than others. Plus, some seem a little sunburned since I put them outside last week. I think I’m going to take some of the larger ones out and pot them separately.

I think part of the problem is that they’re indoors most of the year. I live in NY and in the winter, my sunniest window only gets a few hours of direct sun. Is that really enough to grow healthy cacti and succulents that are not etoliated? I recently saw several varieties of baby barrel cactus at my busses and I wanted to get my own, but if it’s going to end up long and skinny like my others, what’s the point? Do you guys think it’s possible to grow a heathly full barrel cactus in the northeast? If so, which one should I get?

I don’t want to get one if I don’t have enough light for it to maintain its proper shape. I don’t want it to end up like my dad’s. Any thoughts On if I should get one? Which one? proper light requirements? Suggestions for any of my other guys? I’m numbering the photos to mike it less confusing to reference.

Thsnks for your help. Have a great weekend!

Comment (1)