SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvetchlambkin

Finally tried Tarocco blood oranges!

Home
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all,

I've been interested in blood oranges for awhile and could only find Moros everywhere I went. I've looked into the possibility of growing a blood orange tree in zone 7 but seeing that Moros have been easy to find, it doesn't feel worth it to get a Moro tree. But Moros are supposed to be the earliest ripening of the main 3 blood oranges!

Most discussions on gardenweb about Tarocco are speculative or repeat what we've read from other sources. I've found very few posts about people personally tasting the fruit. So this past year, I've been on the lookout for Sanguinello or Tarocco oranges to buy and personally taste. I never saw any until yesterday! I'm excited to share a couple of photos of two Tarocco blood oranges I ate so far!

1st Tarocco

» Appearance: The first Tarocco I tried had purely orange skin. No red pigmentation on the exterior peel. On the inside there were some streaks of dark red within dark orange flesh. The size of this Tarocco was also the smallest in the bag.

» Taste: It was unexpectedly amazing! The pulp/vesicles felt delicate and melty. Complete opposite of the super crisp Sumo flesh. It was sweet with a tiny bit of tang and a hint of a secondary fruity flavor. The other fruity flavor tasted more tropical. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what fruit but I would say akin to pineapple maybe? It was more of a brisk and refreshing tropical undertone compared to the Moro which has more of a musky, berry undertone. This one Tarocco orange beat all the 10-15 good and bad Moros I've bought this year. Overall the flavor came through very strongly and it had a complex taste that is hard not to like.

2nd Tarocco

» Appearance: I prefer to eat my oranges peeled whole but for everyone's sake I cut it in half to show the color. Outer peel was pigmented warm orange-red with a bit of orange streaked on one side. But the inside flesh was completely absent of red pigmentation. The flesh was pure orange, not even a dark orange like the 1st Tarocco. Pulp/vesicles were again very soft and melty.

» Taste: Mildly sweet with almost no tang. Combined with a complete lack of acidity, it was a mild and bland sweetness. There was still a very faint fruity undertone. The overall flavor tasted past its peak but not overripe.

Based on these two Tarocco oranges, I like them better than the Moro so far. They seem to be on the opposite ends of the flavor spectrum. When the Moro tasted very good to me, it was very tart with small bit of sweetness, a musky berry undertone, and an almost kerosene aftertaste at times. These Tarocco were mostly sweet with a small bit of tang, refreshing fruity undertone, and no lingering aftertaste.

I hope this helps anyone curious about Tarocco blood oranges! I have about 4 more Tarocco oranges to eat so I can add in the appearances and taste of the others if you guys want!

Edit\\\ I forgot to mention they were very easy to peel. But I noticed the very first Moros I ever tried were stuck onto the fruit like no other. The later Moros were very easy to peel. I've noticed the blood oranges that tend to be easy to peel were tall/oval shaped most likely due to greater pith (fluffy white stuff) from more humidity and moisture. Just a thought if you manage to find them but hate hard to peel oranges.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert