SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_dillon5591424

Update on recent new tongue-and-groove porch flooring materials?

Mary Dillon
5 years ago

Hey, y'all, I have a 1920 house with a 10' x 30' front porch. I need to replace its flooring and of course the standard look for this vintage is T&G. I'm about tired of the continual painting and staining, so am looking for a good composite or other low-maintenance option. I'm in the Virginia mountains (new USDA zone 7b) and our temps can range from 5 in winter to protracted weeks of high 90s in summer (with massive humidity). Porch faces North so gets hot shot of afternoon sun on the western end, but is raised off grade by 2-7 feet (on a slope) so good ventilation, with just brick piers and lattice underneath. I started out looking for PVC but was put off by its reputation for warping in the heat; looks like composite does better. Whatever I use has to come in 10' or 20' lengths to avoid waste, and be installed perpendicular to the front wall of the house, due to the way the joists are laid. I am resigned to updating those to 12" supports. I am bewildered by the array of new products on the market -- no Chemistry major here, sorry, I was Comp Lit! I can get 20' Trex in the quantity needed for $1940 from Lowes including matching screws, but my favorite Realtor friend says he'll never speak to me again if I use it, and that if I can't find a good T&G sub I should go for something Cheap and await market developments. I can get Lumberock T&G imitation in 10' lengths for $2714 delivered from mfgr. I'll have to order samples because their local dealer has quit carrying it, saying the Wolf PVC product is better.

Please, PLEASE does anyone have a good grasp these new products, to support a suggestion? I swear I'll send cookies!

Comments (4)