SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

How much closet do you need?

bpath
5 years ago

There's (another) thread over in Building a Home about closet location. I've had a walk-in closet in only one home. It was kind of narrow, and the whole master suite arrangement was one I haven't seen since, so I don't comment too much on walk-in closets. But, it makes me wonder . . . How much closet space do you really, and I mean really, need?

I understand having the stuff we keep in drawers, moved to drawers in the closet. And accessories. And shoes. But still. How much closet space do we REALLY use?

(Maybe I need to return the Swedish Death Cleaning audiobook I'm listening to, having just finished one of Marie Kondo's "Tidying" books, and not think about these things too much?)

Comments (38)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

More than ever, because clothing is so darn cheap since it is made with such incredibly cheap labor today. Do you even see unused closet space?

I read Kondo. I do find myself asking if things "spark joy". It can seem silly but the concept is useful. We sometimes have rationalizations for keeping things that on some gut level we just don't like, and so never use. Even if we should use it. It can be hard to figure out why logically, and you needn't try. Just give it away.

I will also say, that the more storage space one has, the easier it is to keep your house tidy, which is important to mental health IMHO. It is also a big point for resale.

This post is timely in a way, because I had the idea that I buy various stuff (of all kinds) so often, almost out of habit. I decided I wanted to try 30 days without buying anything other than food and necessities. Starting May 1. (Thus the rush to buy shoes last night, LOL). So now I have publicly committed.

• bpath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, MtnRd, have you declared the boundary for "necessities"? I think of Christmas in Connecticut, when Liz tells Felix she "needed" the mink coat. "No one needs a mink coat but a mink!", says Felix :) (it sure was a gorgeous coat, especially when she flips her hair out over the collar. Sigh. I don't need the coat, but I wish I had her hair.)

• Related Discussions

How much of the roof do you need to cover?

Q

Comments (3)
    laserfan, how's that working out for you? I am trying to find the "best deal" and the right size but I am really winging it at this point. I did find a site called 4seasons greenhouse that has free shipping and I can get a 14x20 piece of 60% for $114. I think that is the size I looked at. I figured I could start about 3 feet in from the door (rooftop) using 9 of the 14 ft section (east facing, minimal heat/sun there) and cover the top and part of the back and south facing side and still have a good amount to use.
    ...See More

How much water do you know or feel your grass/shrub needs weekly

Q

Comments (4)
    Just an Old Jock at Heart thus the necessity of Hip Replacments.As for the Horticulture 101 , I use rule of thumb that at temps below 55 Deg F evaporations rate is not any issue unless severe winds are a norm . Since you have indicated low temps and native folliage I would just ensure to maintain good colour of vegetation . You may requiure either a short Deluge application of water or a longer moderate rate of watering dependant on your soil composition loam vs sand vs clay. The ideal is a 30/30/30 mixture with a 10% organic mixture making up the final composition. The waterng should achieve minimium penetration of at least 1/2 inch . On our hunting plot we at times supplement natural rainfall with additional watering via a 4wheeler with irrigation 20 gallon tank . The plot is just over an acre , thus not a great hardship for a food plot for deer.
    ...See More

How much do you really need?

Q

Comments (7)
    I sincerely doubt you are insurable at this point. Most plans would require you pay a high percentage over even the Standard rate, or make you wait at least a year before writing coverage on you. celticmoon is correct on the healthcare costs. A comprehensive health insurance costs slightly over $1K/mo. average for a couple. The advantage is that they can't drop you since it is a continuation of coverage. Also, wasn't there something in the President's stimulus plan about helping to pick up some of the cost of COBRA insurance for the unemployed - although I'm not sure that would cover self-termination/retirement, it may be restricted to those who are laid off. Maximum you would want to take is a 4% distribution annually. I have no idea what the immigration policy is in England, but your dollars would not go far as currently the US dollar is weak vs the pound, about $1.64/one pound. Canada's immigration policy varies per province. British Columbia is now almost completely closed to immigration unless you have $300K cash and intend to open a business. I think some of the other provinces are more open to immigration, but you will be contending with more severe weather. It's no joke how cold it gets in Calgary (my MIL's relatives live there so she visits regularly...in summer!). If you are really strapped for cash and want to retire, I'm afraid going South of the border is your best alternative. There are many cities with US ex-pats and very good healthcare. We have friends who have had to move out of the US because they couldn't afford to retire here. You should note that Medicare does NOT cover anything if you live outside the US. Medical care in South and Central America can be very good, however, and is inexpensive by US standards. Panama, Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Mexico all have large ex-pat communities.
    ...See More

How much stuff do you REALLY need in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (34)
    I look at kitchen equipment/bowls/pots/pans etc like I do clothes: I wear only some of my clothes all the time, but when I need a particular piece, nothing else will do, so I must have it! i.e., if it's a black tie party/wedding, my black leggings/cashmere turtleneck and boots are not going to do it for me! The same is true in my kitchen. I make an angel food cake 3-4 times a year, but no other pan will do - don't like angle food cake made in a loaf pan. I don't use but one of my mixing bowls very often, but when I need them (such as when I'm baking that angle food cake and must sift flour/sugar multiple times), having several is very useful. I don't use my cake pans very often, but there is really no substitute - same with pie pans. I use my big Le Creuset a lot in the winter, but never the rest of the year. I don't bake all that often, or whip cream, but I'm mighty glad to have my KA stand mixer. I haven't made a cheese cake in years, but may someday and a springform pan is essential. If I were starting over would I go out and buy all these things? Perhaps not, but something tells me I'd be placing a quick Amazon Prime order for things all the time if I didn't! One thing I have multiples of in my kitchen is a small mixing bowl (have it on both sides of the kitchen, a liquid measuring cup (one by the sink, one near the stove), kitchen scissors - I actually have 3 pair on 3 different walls!), and my beloved spreaders are on two walls.
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I really need a walk in closet. I live in a small apartment so the walk in closet is not huge, but I need all of it. I have some clothing in drawers in there, and all my shoes, and then all my tops and pants on hangers, so everything wearable is in there including various seasonal wear.

And this is after finally getting rid of clothes that I no longer wear because they are not my size, and the unfortunate loss of a huge number of shoes and some handbags ruined during the flood last year.

I cannot imagine having to store all my clothes in an ordinary small bedroom closet.

• amykath
    5 years ago

I do not need much space. I do not have a ton of clothes. I have more of a standard uniform consisting of jeans, shorts, skirts and bland colored tops.

We have a HUGE closet. My husband uses it and I have a tiny area that takes up maybe 3 ft of hanging space. My drawers are mostly full of t-shirts to wear around the house. We really only need half of the space but it also serves for storage and our our washer and dryer.

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

I have 7.5 feet of hanging space in 5 feet of closet. I’d be happy if it were doubled but Kondoing my closet did help a LOT. I keep my Halloween costumes and some other specialty clothing in another closet.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I don't have a walk in, but we did renovate our master closet to be very functional using the Elfa shelves and rods.

I also use all the closets spread around the house. Downstairs I have a coat closet just for me. I gave DH the entry all closet. (I have one long coat in there.) Then, I have 2/3 of a closet in DH's office.

The more storage you have, the more you are inclined to fill it! When I lived in a studio apartment I had one tiny closet and a bureau. That seemed sufficient to me at the time.

I am always trying to downsize my wardrobe. it is difficult giving away things that I never got a chance to wear. How many years should I keep that striped silk top?

My biggest mistake is usually buying something that I think I will use for an occasion in the future. That never seems to work for me. When an occasion comes up, I look in my closet and then usually want something new. (Sigh) I should know better by now.

• fouramblues
    5 years ago

I have 5’ and it’s plenty for all my hanging stuff and shoes. Probably 1’ of that is stuff I never wear. Now, my bureau is another thing entirely: I can hardly open and close the drawers and I’ve got a bin under the bed for some off season stuff. Before I retired I needed a little more hanging space and a little less bureau space.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

I find the available stuff will fill the available space. In the old house I had one dresser and dh had the other. In the new house, I have both old dressers and dh has another one. Both of my dressers are now full to the brim.

In the old house, I had a small closet and DH had another one. In this house I have my own walk-in closet and it is still full to the brim.

And this is despite the fact that, now that I'm retired, I need far fewer clothes than I did when I was working...I mostly live in jeans and t-shirts.

• deegw
    5 years ago

In our old house, my DH installed a closet system that we designed and he built. The closet is an average sized walk-in. When we put the clothes back in, I was smug. Lots of empty space! Look at me, I am a clothing minimalist!

Then we moved. The new closet is the same size but poorly designed. And now the closet looks like a perpetual rummage sale :(

So, I learned that closet size is secondary to closet organization.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I have a small-ish walk in closet with double rows for hanging on two sides with a center back wall interruption of a builtin for purses, hats, scarves and jewelry. The other wall has a single multi hole hanger for long items and a narrow floor to ceiling shoe storage. My husband uses about a forth of the space and he also has a non walk in closet. We have a large dresser where I use only two drawers because I hang my T's and sweaters. I try to get rid of one item for every one or two I buy. Can't say I always do it though.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

For clothes? Very little. But I live in FL where there are no basements and the attic gets incredibly hot, so if you don't have a garage you need plenty of closet space to store everything else.

ETA I use the master bedroom here as my office, primarily because of the enormous reach-in closet that covers one whole wall. It serves as both attic and basement for me, in addition to office storage.

• User
    5 years ago

Our master bedroom has a walk in closet that is way too small for two people. DH has so many clothes that he’s pretty much taken it over. I have one very small area that’s mine and it one of the only things I’ve made clear that I will NOT share. I don’t need a lot, but I could sure use more than what I have. :c(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

BPathome, I am thinking food, cleaning supplies, toiletries are all that comes under necessities? It's only Day 2 and already I have a puzzle. Is giving to charities that I have always supported a necessity. Yesterday was a fund drive for DD1s school. This weekend is a charity event where we have always been big supporters. They aren't necessities but it is not stuff. Green light. NO cheating by buying an auction item for myself!

• bpath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MtnRd, spending money isn't always buying things, you're right. But if you go to the event and come home with swag, where does that fall? I guess it depends on the swag, and if you actually bring it home!

I guess I'm really thinking more about bedroom closets, since the threads in Building are more about that.

My auntie lived in a high-rise condo building, gorgeous spacious apartments with spectacular views. The studio condo next door to her 2-bedroom was owned by the woman down the hall, who used it as her out-of-season and event-wear closet. I always thought it was a waste of the view, to just have clothes in there and she probably had to keep the curtains drawn against fading. Eventually, though, she rented out the studio; I don't know what she did with all her things!

I'm an elfa Queen lol. I've designed and installed almost two dozen elfa and other systems in rooms and closets and "spaces" in my various homes. But my current 8' reach-in closet is still full. I can't help but think that if I had a bigger closet, it'd still be full! Cue the George Carlin routine.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I have a good sized walk-in closet (plus a small linen closet) in my bedroom, and I could use two more walk-in closets. I have a regular closet in the sewing room for fabric, and if it were bigger, I would have more bolts of fabric.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

I wish our walk-in closet was triple the size it is now. I have to admit that both my husband and I do have a lot of clothes. I like them all to be stored out of sight in a closet, and very organized. Disorganization really stresses me out (LOL)! When we were helping to design this place, I underestimated how much space we’d need and, as a result, ended up with a giant master bathroom and a too small closet. On the plus side, it does have double and single rods, drawers and shelves, but not enough. It’s too easy for our closet to start looking disorganized and messy . . . as it does this morning. This is a very timely thread, as that’s my main project for today: packing away the last of our Fall and Winter clothes and unpacking and finding places for the Spring & Summer one’s. And shoes. Ugh! There’s a seriously big pile of clothes and bins awaiting me here in one corner of our bedroom, and an embarrassing amount of warm weather shoes in a pile on the rug in our closet.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I have tried to not fall for buying clothes just because they were cheap. It's a struggle for me, but I really dislike seeing my closet jammed with clothes and it happens so quickly. Unlike some, I like to shop.

I use about five feet of hanging space per season (only two seasons, not four.) I have a three foot wide dresser for sweaters, underpinnings, swimsuits, scarves, workout clothes and such and need very little for shoes since I have a dozen at best. There is a three foot wide bank of shelves for handbags and a few sun hats.

My husband uses about three feet of hanging space and three sparse dresser drawers. And he has no need to rotate between summer and winter wardrobes. Everything fits and stays in one place.

5 years ago

About the shopping fast, I am not sure I understand the point. There are two reasons not to shop in my mind. You either can't afford to spend the money or you don't have the space/place for things (space meaning physical storage space like for clothes, space being, you like the item, but you cannot add it to your decor for one reason or another.)

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

How much do we need? More than I ever thought, apparently. Like Annie said, stuff expands to fit the available space. We have what is probably considered a medium sized walk-in, and I probably use about 2/3 of it and DH the rest.

When we built this house, we incorporated small walk-in closets in each guest bedroom. Both are kind of L-shaped. Not that we planned to use them for all our stuff, but we did indeed plan to use them for ski clothes and boots, winter jackets and boots, cycle helmets, hanging tablecloths, some seasonal decorations, and other odds and ends. I ended up using one as a seasonal swap-out for some clothing. Now that I am retired, I have been getting rid of a lot of clothing I will no longer wear professionally. Kept some, and I know I could do more, but I’m working on it.

I tend to agree with Mtn in that storage space makes for a tidy appearance elsewhere in your home. I’ve been known to stuff things away quickly when guests are coming unexpectedly, but I’ve been trying to 1) tidy drawers and closets and 2) purge things we really don’t need and 3) refrain from mindless buying. And then someone has a shoe sale....

• lobby68
    5 years ago

There are not many things in this world I love more than my closet. It was a main focus for the purpose of our remodel. It is big, but not huge (8x20) and we use it as a dressing room. The closet is accessed from inside the master bath, so my spouse who gets up 2 or 3 hours before me for work can now do everything he needs in there without disturbing my precious slumber.

Now, do I NEED all that stuff? Of course not. I like clothes, though. I do require quite a bit for work, because I work in two different climates and wear super casual to ultra professional. And, of course, 2 or 3 different sizes. Everything is in there though; shoes, handbags, totes, suits, formal dresses, cocktail dresses, workout gear, casual stuff, jewelry, empty shoe boxes (that I might NEED), suitcases, duffle bags, and we hide all the christmas presents in there too! Super practical.

The only thing I don't like is I picked the espresso color Ikea closet stuff and now I have to dust my closet. Most UNfavorite chore.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

More than I have.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

We use all of it. Besides clothes, bags, shoes etc I keep there my carry on etc, sewing box, iron and iron board, linens for master bedroom, towels for master bath, perfumes..that's where I hide gifts for everybody too)) wrapping paper.. Boxes with sentimental stuff-postcards, old letters. All sorts of ephemera..

We bought somebody's used closet system off Craigslist and my DH installed it so it helps..drawers, shelves..even thingamagic for dirty laundry.

Do I need it all? Lol. Of course not. I think quarter of the clothes should go. Actually. I'm just too sentimental, or full of wishful thinking, or am tired to list them on eBay(I'm a very anxious seller. I'm always afraid something will go wrong. So I'm mentally exausted after earning my stellar feedback several years ago..))

I do love the remaining clothes a lot, and I wear stuff for years and years(if I was lucky to buy it when they still made quality stuff).

As for my DH he's just a kind of a person who has a magic ability to fill every surface that'd be available to him. He spreads out so to say. and he hates throwing things out. This year in his birthday card to me he even wrote-put in writing this on going promise lol- he'll clean the garage)) But it's terrifying to him. I know that.

Now he and my MIl make same mistakes with her condo. As with that freaking garage. They do think I'm all that, and like my advice and whatever I find or buy, but they still bring in there every single thing he owned since his living in dorms, because "let it stay here meanwhile". Result-despite my best efforts, it gets filled on perimeter with all sort of mismatched horror that is still not functional, because" it's too small..let's meanwhile stick something else small right beside it". I can't impose myself too much, it's not my house..I'm not her designer, not even a friend..I'm her daughter in law:) It has already bedding that I bought, curtains that I bought, sofa that I found, table and chairs she chose. She loves it all btw, she just needs "to store things"-and instead of patiently waiting for normal functional good pieces to appear on CL (or go buy something new already, even though nobody understands not wanting buy cheap new better than me) my DH is filling this poor condo up to the brim. Gosh it's a home! Should be cozy, comfortable, functional. I'm so upset, I actually told him that at this point, I need to distance myself, since they ask my advice and help all the time, but do exactly the opposite. It's not my place so I can't act like it's mine-and even if I have my MIL's best interest in mind, I can't just buldozer myself over her place and "not allow" something. I recommend, explain why, she agrees, her eyes shine, actually-then my DH appears with another something he had in his dorms)) She can't refuse it too-her son used to have it once in dorms!

I told him:

-If I'm expected to do anything. Doesn't matter what. If I'm asked advice. I need to stand behind it. I'm committed to do it well. I don't see it all going well, at this point. It goes against any common sense. Not cohesive, not well balanced, more dysfunctional every day -obviously your Mom thinks so too if she continues to ask for other solutions. So let me take a mental break maybe. Until we re-group from other things happenning in the family, and having more time for sensible furniture purchases.

Sorry for the rant..

It's been less than two months since she's in that totally redone cute condo. She already had a bunch of furniture she liked-and a bunch of "meanwhile" furniture. Instead of getting rid of "meanwhile" furniture the amount of "meanwhile" grew exponentially.

I'm already saddled with this huge sense of guilt she doesn't live actually with us-but in two min drive. Now I'm saddled with guilt her new home turns to be some epic mess in becoming.

I'm very sentimental myself. I understand being sentimental. But at some point one needs to breathe. You can't make everything of same sentimental value. A letter is one thing. A mug somebody gave you once..got it. A shirt you wore in university ..okay. Lets say I get it. Old wobbly toilet shelf that doesn't fit..I'm sorry. I fail to see the value. I try yet I fail.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

About the shopping fast, I am not sure I understand the point. There are two reasons not to shop in my mind. You either can't afford to spend the money or you don't have the space/place for things (space meaning physical storage space like for clothes, space being, you like the item, but you cannot add it to your decor for one reason or another.)

I will add a third. The environment. Lots of things are "cheap" nowadays. More often than not, when I am rung up at a register, I think, "really, that's all?" Compared to real estate, or services, or taxes, or insurance, or even groceries (though I admit I am a pretty high end grocery consumer), when I buy, things they seem cheap to me. And it is not my imagination; it is offshoring of production coupled with the impact of total price transparency afforded by online retail. So it is very tempting to buy more than you need and fill your life and, by extension, the planet, with junk. I just wanted to make myself think about it more. Part of it is consciousness-raising, part of it is being keenly aware that in a few years when my youngest goes off, I am going to be going thru a lot of stuff.

5 years ago

No, it's definitely not your imagination about how insanely cheap things are. I can't wrap my head around how you package and ship the item for what it costs me, much the less manufacture it.

And yes, consciousness raising, I get that.

• deegw
    5 years ago

I want to add that I think that the exploitation of garment workers is something to consider when you are buying cheap clothes.

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

We would use a lot less if we would part with old clothes we don't wear. DH has a lot of difficulty parting with clothing and everything else for that matter. I have too many old clothes from days gone by when I "dressed up" for work. These were really nice clothes that I loved and still do (they don't make 'em like they used to). I just can't part with them - waiting for pleated trouser style pants and shoulder pads to come around again. I will say neither one of us buy many new clothes unless something is worn out or there's some particular occasion that warrants something here and there.

I think about the closets in the house I grew up in (or other older homes) and they were quite small. We got along fine. Same can be said for bathrooms and other home features that many people now feel must be quite large (and sometimes numerous).

• Kathy Yata
    5 years ago

I just have favorite clothes. There's some maxim going around about how we wear some small percentage of our clothes some large percentage of the time? Only reason all my clothes aren't worn in a given month or so is it has been too warm or too cold. They will wear out faster worn more but chances are I'll destroy them before that anyway.

I have 4 hangers in my 6' closet so guess it is about 6x my need? I do have a wonderful pair of MC dressers that precisely fit the wall they are on that hold 90% of my clothes plus 75% of the linens. I'm not minimalist overall but am for clothes. Good thing, linens are killing me.

5 years ago

I deleted my comment- it was OT.

• jakabedy
    5 years ago

aprilneverends- I can so sympathize with you. When my mom decided to move to NM three years ago, I worked like crazy to get just the right furniture and accessories for the small 1BR condo we had found for her after much searching. DH and I both wanted her to feel comfortable from the get-go and very “New Mexico-y”. It was adorable.

But I had forgotten that my mom was never much for decor, design, or cleanliness for that matter. I had forgotten that she never makes her bed, so the “look” I had put together with comforter, blanket, pillows . . . was wasted. I had forgotten that she runs life from a ”Cockpit” of sorts, meaning a chair that has multiple ottomans, plastic tables from Amazon and overturned boxes from Amazon masquerading as tables, all around it. All seating surfaces covered with throws that are covered with cat hair. All table/box surfaces covered with paper and this and that and coffee cups and . . . Regarding one rug-type cube ottoman: “Take that out, it’s hard to move around.” (sigh).

She’d order something against my recommendation, then when it arrived, say “You’re so good with decorating. Where should I hang this 3’ x 5’ painting of a zebra?” I would tell her I would be glad to hang it for her, but she needs to tell me where she wants it, as I couldn’t really speak to a good place for it. And then a couple months of sniping and hard feelings would follow. Lather, rinse, repeat. Zebrad infinitum. My solution? I haven’t been inside her new apartment (independent living apartment) since we took out the last moving box. In October.

But I digress.

We each have about eight feet of hanging space and a built-in dresser. DH’s shoes are in his closet. Mine are in bins in a built-in cabinet in the bedroom. Other than that there is just the coat closet (where DH has way, way too many coats and jackets). We do try to get rid of something every time we bring in something new.

We’ve always had older homes, and have never had a walk-in closet. We’ll go to open houses and builder parades and stare in wonder at some of the huge closets. I’m sure when we eventually build our retirement home, it will have a walk-in closet. But it should remain quite sparse, as I hope to have only seven outfits by then. One for each day of the week.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

The more closet space I have, the easier it is to hang more clothes and to see everything with ease. We have seasons, which adds to the need for adequate closet space.

DH and I each have own own closets, but my overflow goes into a walk-in closet in what was one of the girl's rooms.

We have a large walk-in closet at our vacation house. It is wonderful to have so much space. It is heated too. It contains the ironing board. So convenient.

If I could I would swap closets I would.

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Our closets are so small. The one in the MBR is DH's. Getting a closet system helped. We used Container Store when they had their Elfa sale around the holidays. There is a store about 10 min away. We really need to do this with the other two rooms where I hang my winter and summer clothes. Unless something dramatically changes, we are not moving, so doing more closet systems makes sense if we are to stay here.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I want to add that I think that the exploitation of garment workers is something to consider when you are buying cheap clothes.

Very true, but there's no guarantee at all that off-the-rack clothes at any price are not made by exploited workers. The only way to be sure of that is to buy locally-made clothes where you know who made them.

• Lars
    5 years ago

I have made quite a few of my own clothes over the years, including bathing suits and underwear, especially back when the selections were poor. I've never made socks, however, as I do not knit.

If you buy clothes made in Italy, I do not think the garment workers are being exploited, as the clothes are fairly expensive.

• Sueb20
    5 years ago

Timely question as I just met with a closet-company rep at my new house today. We are moving from a house with a huge walk-in master closet to a house with a tiny standard closet in the master. But we also have two bedrooms that will not be used as bedrooms, so of those 2 closets, DH and I will each claim one. I still worry that we won’t have enough even though we’re purging a lot of stuff. All the storage space in the new house is smaller (1895 house) ... I’m hoping this fact will make us think twice about all future purchases! I’m pretty excited actually to pare down some belongings at this stage of my life.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

D_gw,

I was looking for a good article I read on that recently. Here it is https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/the-myth-of-the-ethical-shopper/

I think that, as a practical matter, it is nearly impossible for consumers to have an impact on this.

We cannot always apply our standards and values to an entirely different culture, nor should we. But I think at a minimum these companies should follow their own local laws.

• deegw
    5 years ago

mtnrd, thanks for the link. I think.

Intellectually I understand that my global consumer power is a drop in the ocean. But my Economics degree keeps shouting at me. Supply and demand, supply and demand!

• jill302
    5 years ago

My last house I survived for 23 years with a standard 6 foot size closet plus a box for casual shoes I kept in my office. Called it the magical closet as it was amazing how much I could stuff into that space. My current closet is a walk in that has 4 times as much space, holds the same stuff as in my old closet and it still full but much less crowded. My husband has a separate smaller closet but does use 1/4 of my closet for things he does not wear as often so that reduces my personal space a bit. So I know I can survive with much less closet space but I do prefer the larger closet. Now kitchen storage space would be something entirely different.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!