SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmicket

Looking for the right impact windows/doors

I need to spec a brand but not sure if I can afford what it seems they would cost!

We are building near marsh on Edisto Island so salt air may be a concern. Lot is quite shaded with covered porches all around.

Don't think vinyl clad is the right product, so looking for an alternative, can't afford steel. Would like a finish inside and out to be the same so my original choice was PGT since it's a good product and it's aluminum inside and out, but some people are saying aluminum isn't a good choice for our area because of product pitting.

I need inside clad to be a finish that can take lots of soap and water. I have dogs and a good portion of the house is completely tiled floors and walls with drains in floors. I plan on having marble window sills and baseboards so I can get heavy handed with a bucket.

Started looking at the Marvin Integrity All-Ultex, thinking I could have the fiberglass inside and out, but I see their has been a finish issue in the past with peeling and that scares me. It also looked and felt cheap as compared to their Wood-Ultrex, but they only had a small window sample of the All-Ultrex vs an huge operational Wood-Ultrex (see attached) so very hard to compare.

Need a couple other suggestions for brands to look at. Some of our potential builders suggested Viwinco, Sierra Pacific, and Andersen.

We need:

3) sets 3068 french doors 6018 fixed transoms (6 doors, 3 transoms)

1) 2868 french w/2818 transom

1) 3068 french door w/3018 transom

2) 1268 sidelights

1) Multi track 8' slider with 18" transom for 10' opening

7) 3062 Double hung

2) 2428

2) 4252

1) 2046

5) 2830 fixed

Our first builder's bid is coming in at 19,000.00 for Viwinco impact 15 windows X $575 plus tax and Install Materials and only one Mahogany front door and Fiber glass back. Obviously, he didn't get the schedule right!

I would have to bring in the plans and have the building supply work up a more accurate schedule, but based on what I need, am I thinking doors/window materials closer to 40,000.00????

Help! Need suggestions!

Comments (7)