SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramanihouse

Demolishing an existing house to build a newer and bigger house?

Amit Ramani
6 years ago

I live in Wellington, Florida. I bought my house almost 3 years ago. It was built in 1995. It is a 4 bed, 2 bath house with a pool. Living Sq. Ft 1948. Total Sq. Ft: 2500. Lot Size: 0.26 acres

I do not like the house, the roof needs to be replaced, we have detected mold in the house. Overall, we do not like the house at all (yes, I made a mistake). Ideally, we would like to have a 5 bed 4 bath house. The house is laid out very poorly for our requirements.

Is it worth it to demolish this house and re-build from scratch my custom home on this lot? What are the pros and cons of such a decision. I paid $355K for the house in 2015. I really like the neighborhood because of its proximity and quiet (add to that, no HOA). I have looked at buying other resales in other neighborhoods, but those do not make sense for me in terms of commute for school and work.

There are only 3 other lots available in this neighborhood, only one them is on sale. The one lot that is on sale is asking $239K. That lot needs a lot of fill and is smaller than my current lot.

At this point, I am unsure of what to do. Any suggestions? Any ideas of how to reason this? I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Comments (34)