SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

So... I'm getting a lot of free windows....

beesneeds
6 years ago

Last fall my love and I closed on the back acreage abutting our property from a friend and neighbor. He's getting to retiring from house construction, and does not need or have the space for a lot of stuff in his barn he's been stockpiling for decades that is on the property. A couple weeks back we were chatting about all the stuff, and I reminded him he also had several windows he had stored in my pole barn a while back- wanted to make sure he got them back if he wanted to sell them off.

He looked at me and said "My windows? Those are yours now. Don't you need a greenhouse by now anyway? There's a bunch more here in the barn too if you want them. Less for me to have to deal with then too, being able to leave them here.". He's also leaving behind any lumber "scrap" suitable for me to build raised beds with.. and has several lovely cedar planks and boards he will sell me for cheap.

So of course, now I get to plan a greenhouse, and not sure what to do other than just be flabbergasted that I suddenly have glass to build one. It will be a couple months till I know the full tally of windows and probably a couple doors I'll be able to use. I know what's in my pole barn, got no idea what all is hiding in the barn. He pointed out a few stacks tucked back here and there amongst stuff. In the pole barn is all newer windows- bay windows, regular ones with screens, big panel windows.. In the barn seems to be more older stuff, wood frames and such. Gracious plenty enough to build a greenhouse sized suitable to my needs, somewhere along the lines of 10/12x 12/15ish?

I've already checked with my local building inspector about ordinances and building permits. I'm good to go with building a freestanding greenhouse that size.

So now planning questions, asking advice, inspiration..

I assume I want to use the bay window kind of stuff for the walls.. and use the windows that can open/shut with screens for the roof so I can vent as needed?

I was thinking of using a poured cement base for the foot outline of the walls. Then using cinderblock for a couple rows before raising glass up from that. I make my own cement pavers, and thought of flooring the greenhouse with my pavers.

Comments (6)