SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngram

Color for metal roof?

ngram
6 years ago

Hello all, first time poster here! Hopefully you can help us out! We have been told that our metal roof over the porch is rusting and needs a coat of paint. It was a copper finish roof, not real copper, installed at the time of the build (we are not the original owners) and was a little shinier. Over the years it has become duller and browner in color. First, has anyone ever painted a metal roof? Second

, if we do paint it, do we try and replicate that shiny

copper look it originally had, go charcoal or black like the roof, or something different, any suggestions? Also do you think I should paint my front door a color, if so which color?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

the roof color is more of a personal preference. I love the copper accent, but charcoal would look more continuous.

Paint that door a bright red or dark blue so it pops.

ngram thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

• redsilver
    6 years ago

Don't worry so much about the shiny, but I would not change the value of the current hue, because...in 5 years you will have a copper and ?? black, blue, red....roof. Been there, done that....painted green over aluminum........now the roof is green and aluminum......yucky. Too much upkeep. Match the current hue and go on with life. You will not be sorry...or pull off the metal and replace with shingles that match the rest of your roof. Whatever you do, on a metal roof, don't change the color of the hue. The sheen is less important since it is a porch, probably.

ngram thanked redsilver
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

"We have been told that our metal roof over the porch is rusting and needs a coat of paint"

OK, this may sound rude but told by whom? A roofing professional, your sister's brother in law, your mailman, a designer? Is the roof unsound?

Next, I am definitely no professional but I do know that painting over rust is a temporary solution. Rather than that, could you find room in your budget now or in the next few years to replace it with a new metal roof or one that matches the shingles? Or will painting it be enough of a stop gap to keep it sound until its time for a new roof on the whole house?

ngram thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

ngram thanked groveraxle
  • ngram
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to all who have responded! It was a painter who told us this. I like you, have reservations about painting metal. The roof is structurally sound and in good condition, except for

the surface rust spots and finish coming off on some spots. I tried to take some pics, hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. We do not want to replace the metal roof unless it is absolutely necessary. The painter says he paints metal roofs all the time, and it is no more upkeep than say painting your homes exterior. It will need a recoat every 5 to 10 years.(His words not mine). So, should i just keep it as is for now? How about door color, any suggestions?

• ngram
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just saw that groveraxle. Thank you so much! I was hoping you would work your magic!

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

I am no roofing expert but i wouldn't think it needs painted, seems to be in pretty good shape. Maybe just pressure wash it.

ngram thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • ngram
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lol. Your probably right Lindsey. He was there to put a fresh coat on the shutters and said, by the way your roof is rusting and needs to be painted. But, he isn't wrong about the rust. So what can be done about that, without replacing? I'll try to get a roofer to look at it. In the mean time, anyone else have any suggestions or experience with metal roofing? Thank you all!

• ngram
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another question guys. If we keep the metal roof as is, should i also keep the door black? Or would it be ok to add another color? Is that too many colors going on, metal, roof, siding, and now door?

• redsilver
    6 years ago

I don't know how old your metal roof is, but it is of high quality. My understanding from a company we dealt with is there is a long term warranty on the finish of such a high quality(standing seam) metal roof. In fact it is such high quality that even if it gets hailed on, a property insurance company will not pay for it's damage to the surface, because it is covered by the warranty of the company brand. If you have issues with the finish of the roof, (and you do not live in a salty air environment), than you probably need to go to the company brand, talk to them, and if it is in warranty of any kind, 1. they will help with the cost and 2. they will have the proper paint available so that you can have the roof painted with the best outcome, I would expect...Pressure washing is not as effective as a very soft bristle brush and water on your metal roof. Again, ask the company about cleaning the roof or prepping it to paint. They have the information you would need, to go about it so you do not void the warranty. That said, also, you will never want a cedar tree or other tree to extend over your porch roof. The sap will damage it, just as it can on certain car paint finishes. I hope you can contact the company and get an excellent representative with good knowledge to tell you or explain to you what is really going on with your metal roof. ~~ Also, if you do repaint your roof in the same tone as it was new, I would think that having a hue in the same family as your porch roof, would be very appealing on your front door. Such a pretty home.

ngram thanked redsilver
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

Looking at magnified close ups of your roof on the computer screen...by chance did the painter damage your finish with grit on his shoes or equipment that he used to repaint your shingles? Or, did the people that installed your roof, damage the finish by clanging the tin or allowing it to rub against the other piece with it was installed? Kinda doesn't look like natural wear and tear defects, they would have softer edges. Looks like somthing else is going on? Just a thought.

ngram thanked redsilver
  • Lynda
    6 years ago
    I am getting the standing seam metal on a section of my roof. The metal roof contractor said the color I picked (dark bronze) may fade over time, but they are able to be painted without issue. I have a similar shingle color as yours. I love the dark bronze metal roof with the lighter
    shingle roof as shown in groveraxle’s pic.
    ngram thanked Lynda
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

do you know when it was installed, or who the manufacturer is? perhaps there is a warranty on it? I would check with them first before touching it.

And, I prefer the copper color. looks nice w/the rest of the home. have you thought about doing some dark greens? maybe a forest green on the shutter, and a green door? that would play well w/the copper and the pale creamy yellow.

ngram thanked Beth H. :
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

I think she said the shutters were just painted. Probably something to do the next time. A soft dusty green could be very pretty with the home in it's existing variations, on the front door, tho....even if the shutters don't get refinished till next time due...I always like the soft dusty greens. The forest greens can often look black ...but probably not as much against the soft yellow of the home walls, as it might against a dark brick home for example. Wonder what it will look like when she is done? :D

• ngram
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, you guys have given great info! Im not sure who the manufacturer is, but the house is 16 yrs old and it was installed at that time. We've been here almost 3yrs. How would I tell who manufactured it? I'll have to look into it. It could possibly still be under warranty.

Funny you guys recommend green. The shutters and door were green before a wind storm ripped one off and we had to replace it, so we decided to paint them black. Lol. Something just never looked right, I thought maybe because the roof was black, the house needed to have more black on it somewhere. Was that a bad idea? I kinda like the black better though, especially with the copper accent. Im really horrible at color coordinating though.lol I would really like a pop on the door though. Im open to changing shutter color, but I'd have to convince my husband. I don't think he'd go for it. This is with the green. Bad picture but only one I have.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

that was the wrong green.that one looks more teal. think dark forest green or a pine green. it would prob look black anyway, so you're fine.

ngram thanked Beth H. :
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

Beth H is right. The green hue was not a dusty sage or a rich grass green> Looks like a green that prepainted shutters come in, actually? It is a green good for white homes, but not so much for creamy yellow, so going with the black was probably a better idea.

ngram thanked redsilver
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

I'd have him mimic a classic, copper color for the metal roof. SW's Black Bean on the Shutters, SW's Polished Mahogany on the front door.

Also, if you have the budget. Replace your exterior lighting. The coach lights are too small. The lamp too builder. There are some gorgeous options available and it makes all the difference in terms of curb appeal - totally worth the spend to upgrade exterior lighting.

ngram thanked Lori A. Sawaya