SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
car8857

Can someone please give me exterior design/landscaping advice?

car8857
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

When I bought my house it had brown brick. I wouldn't have minded the brown brick if it was on both sides but that half strip bugged me and I wanted it white.

My brother painted it for me as a surprise and didn't show me samples, which drives me crazy because I'm so anal about that stuff. Anyway, when I put up the window boxes and do the landscaping it won't look so bad, and it's worse in pictures than in person.

I'd like some landscaping and design ideas, please. I painted the foundation blue because I want white marble chips and I thought a blue foundation would look great with white beds In front of it.

Here's some questions:

My daughter painted the front door and after she painted it I'm reading that you're supposed to paint the door only and not the trim. Is it really that bad? Do I need to re-paint the trim white?

I bought a gold kick plate for the door. Do you think gold is too formal for a ranch house? I was thinking about spraying it a warm gold, along with the handle.

I'd like to put up blue shutters on the bay window to match the other shutters and for balance. I know shutters on bay windows are dumb but in my area its more common than not to have shutters on bay windows, so it won't look any different than all the other houses.

What do you think about painting the trim around the garage blue for balance?

Eventually I'd like to replace the storm door on the garage for a regular door.

I bought white window boxes, I'm going to paint them blue to match the shutters.

I want to put in a tree on the left side. I had my heart set on white birch but the garden center advised against it, said they are too prone to bores.

I have a pretty solar lamppost that I can put anywhere, and the bench can go anywhere too. Any landscape design advice would be so appreciated.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Comments (17)