SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayadeb

Please give me ideas for exterior siding on new build

maria deb
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello

We are starting to get quotes in on the house we plan to build next spring. We were shocked at the cost of the stone (plus labour) ($150,000). So we are looking for ways to decrease the cost, and we are considering changing the exterior. Currently it is a mix of Maibec wood siding with Masonal Stone Frontenac stone (which is absolutely beautiful!). We wonder if we should keep the stone only on the chimney/fireplace, and side the rest of the house with either a stained wood or a painted wood (Maibec has both). We would consider board and batten, but I'm not sure if it will look right on a single story home? The roof is charcoal/dark grey steel, and the windows will be dark brown or iron ore. Will it look too monotonous if it is all wood siding? Would a painted wood look better? Light or dark? I've seen white board and batten that I love (esp with the dark windows), but I'm not sure if it will look right on this house. What are your thoughts?

Note: the house will be built on a 10 acre lot out in the country - no neighbours, just lots of trees!

Comments (26)