SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Six Layered Salad Updated!

User
6 years ago

I adore the six layered salad -- where you put lettuce (iceberg -- the recipe is that old), peas, onions, bacon, cheese, and top with mayonnaise with a bit of sugar added. It can be made ahead because the mayo seals in the rest of the ingredients and is a great pot luck dish.

I adore it!

But . . . it makes a lot -- way more than two people can eat and once tossed with the dressing, it doesn't stay good for long (about as long as it takes for a potluck) and so I often make it when I need to take a salad.

Because did I say I adore it?

In looking yesterday for a non-romaine salad recipe (I didn't want to risk making anyone sick), I came across this one that sounded good and it used iceberg. Called Sarah's Salad from the Lion House Pantry in Utah.

And today as I was putting it together it struck me -- it was a different way to eat my favorite layered salad -- one that you COULD make for just two people and not have to throw more than half away!

My luncheon guests raved about it as did I -- of course, I was in salad heaven . . . haven't had layered salad in a long time and it was great to be eating it again!

This one is going in my own personal recipe book -- to be made again and again!

SARAH'S SALAD FROM THE LION HOUSE PANTRY IN SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH

1 head iceberg lettuce,

1 c. frozen peas

4 slices bacon, cooked

4 slices Swiss cheese, cut into small pieces

3 green onions

Mix all of the above together in a bowl

In another bowl mix:

1 t. sugar

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. pepper

1/4 c. mayo

1/4 c. Miracle Whip

When ready to serve, mix vegetables and cheese with the salad dressing ingredients and serve.

NOTE: I can see making a double recipe of the salad dressing and keeping it in the fridge. As you want a salad, you can make two individual salad bowls full, toss with some dressing and serve. If you don't want to cook your own bacon, would assume that you could use REAL bacon bits that come in a jar.

Comments (12)