SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fredmarie2

Fencing suggestions for timbered land

Fred Jackson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

OK, I'm struggling a bit with the concept of fencing, for marking property boundaries, with the particular property that I have. Would appreciate your suggestions.

In the picture below, my wife and I own both the square parcel at the top of the picture as well as the rectangular parcel on the bottom right of the picture.

Access to the parcel on the top parcel is provided via an access and utility easement (60' wide) that straddles the red line. 30' of the easement lies on the west side of the red line; 30' of the easement lies on the east side of the red line.

Note: While the access easement is a recorded document and rock solid in construction, there are no plans to use the access easement at the current time for many years in the future.

Currently, all three parcels are wooded parcels except for a thin strip that straddles the red line (which also happens to be the access easement to get from the county road to the northern square parcel.)

It looks like this:

In this picture, the proposed fence would run to the left of the driveway. I think there would be around 2 or 3 feet between the fence and the driveway, and there is potential that the fence might overlap a portion. (Yes, I think the neighbor has already started to encroach on our property.)

The road goes to the rectangular parcel on the left of the first image. The people who own it are planning on building a house in the next year or two.

In this picture the fence would run down the middle of the existing road, straight back between the trees.

I am planning on installing a barb wire fence.

The property corners have been marked by a surveyor, and I will hire a fencing company that is skilled in erecting a fence along the property lines.

My questions are:

1. What is your take on the aesthetics of installing barb wire fence in this location? Do you think it fits with the scenery and existing landscaping of this area?
  2. Do you agree that a fence is important for marking boundaries? My feeling is that I feel encroachment on our property (the rectangular parcel on the right of the first image) will occur without a fence because of the old road that was built many years ago. We do not wish others to drive vehicles, etc, on our property and do not wish for that old road to become common property. We would like the neighbors to use their property and for us to use either our own property or the recorded access easement that we have.
  3. Speaking of the access easement, the proposed fence location will split the access easement down the middle, so one half of the easement will be to the west while one half will be to the right. We can remove the fence in the future if needed. Do you see any other concerns this brings?
  4. Are there alternatives to installing a barb wire fence that I haven't considered?

Comments (4)