SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annztoo

Hedge of Dwarf Laurels Turning Yelllow

annztoo
6 years ago

I've read several previous posts but haven't seen exactly the problem I'm having. Most of the plants in this hedge are around 13 yrs old. A few have been replaced over the years because they were slowly dying. At that time, all the other plants were green and healthy. The winter of 2016 was one of the wettest we've had here in a long time and the problem seems to have gotten worse after that.

This location has a main road about 12+ft away from the hedge on one side and the lawn side slopes toward a swale in the yard. There is now a french drain near the road that carries excess water away. The plants get water in the summer.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to remove them this year, especially since I'm seeing no new healthy growth. So.....how do we determine if this is a root fungus/disease or ???, and what other plants can be safely planted here? We need some type of hedge due to road traffic.

The hedge is actually more yellow IRL than pic shows.

The pic below shows lesions/slits near top and bottom of one plant. These oozed a black material last summer.

Pic below is true color of hedge.

This is another hedge and one plant near the end started yellowing last summer. : (

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths