SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Will tile stick on a whitewashed brick fireplace?

Forever Now
6 years ago

So you know how you try to do one project and it leads to another? We're pulling the dark green carpeting out of the back room of our new house to put down wood floor, but the previous owners had put in this strange dark wood behind the 80's style red brick gas fireplace, it didn't fit with the style of the house and it's so dark. We realized if we were going to redo that wall we should do it before we removed the old carpet to help contain the drywall mess, so we've got the drywall up (still need to mud and tape), but of course now the red brick eyesore looks even worse now that it has a white background. At some point we were going to put a new surround on it and were thinking tile, but we've already gone off project as much as we should right now. I did see a technique of whitewashing the brick though that I think looks like a great easy "for now" fix, but DH is worried if we paint it then the tile won't stick to the masonry. I thought I'd check here and see. Here's a link to the technique:

https://www.infarrantlycreative.net/how-to-paint-a-brick-fireplace/ 

Since it's white washing the paint would be very thin. Would doing this ruin our chances for easily tiling it later? I would so like to just lighten it up for now until we can get to it, we have a loooong list of other projects and since tiling it wouldn't be super cheap it would have to wait it's turn and this looks like it could be done super fast.

Comment (1)