SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_dehaven1

cabinet paint color with marble look quartz?

E D
6 years ago
We are using a marble look quartz as shown in the photo. My original plan was to go with BM white dove cabinets Because that’s the trim color and the rest of our house. The photo shows it on our mantle painted that color. I am wondering if I should go with a cooler white and if so if any one has suggestions on the color that is t too stark? Thank you!!

Comments (47)

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

I think Dove white will look lovely with your counter. Have you gotten some paint samples? Paint some cardboard so you can see them next to the counter.

Here are some options to buy samples and see if they will go with your counter...

Timid White BM

Golf Club Renovation · More Info

Chantillily lace BM

Kitchen Island and Breakfast Nook · More Info
    Dove White BM
    Parkwood Road Residence Kitchen · More Info

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you I will look Into to those other options!
  • Related Discussions

White cab paint for carrara marble looking quartz counters

Q

Comments (1)
    Which white paint colors have you tried that make the counter look yellow?
    ...See More

Flooring to match marble look quartz

Q

Comments (7)
    We're doing a remodel, so I'm first choosing the floor, and then can match the grey island to it. I haven't chosen the bathroom or laundry room floor yet, but there's a mosaic tile that I might use which has white, medium and dark grey, and a lightish navy blue. Here is another picture with all the samples plus our favorite from Coretec. Carpet below will all be removed! Top: Aspen Alpine Middle left: Sandbar Middle right: Harbor Bottom: Sherwood Pine Bottom Tile: possible bathroom/laundry room tile (the rooms connect). Would likely use something else on the other bathrooms (can choose to match rest of the house floors). I'm probably jumping on the white/grey bandwagon too late, but I'm sick of my beige house now!
    ...See More

Bright white marble-looking quartz (statuario) for kitchen counter

Q

Comments (1)
    Um, Silestone Eternal Statuario?
    ...See More

looking for quartz that looks like marble.

Q

Comments (24)
    Can you get to Central New Jersey? Go to the MSI showroom. They're lovely, and helpful, and you can see full slabs of of the quartz. If you can, bring one of your cabinet doors. I was having a problem finding the right white since many quartzes I looked at were too creamy. I went there recently and found something I love, and bought, that's new, not even on their website or in any kitchen showrooms I've been to. I bought a piece, Calacatta Bruno, because it's great in my bathroom, but they've got loads. Also, they'll ask who sent you. Have a name ready, like your contractor, or Home Depot, or anything. I'm just not sure if you can say you just walked in on your own. It's not a big deal. https://www.msisurfaces.com/edison-nj-new-york-countertop-showroom/
    ...See More
  • K R
    6 years ago

I don't really like the contrast between the counters and that color quartz since it leans grey and think you should do a cooler white. I am doing a similar quartz and doing BM Decorator's White which in a white-white and says: Undertones: VERY vague gray/blue/green / Temperature: Slightly cool. I think White Dove is also pretty/popular but I do think it depends how much natural light you have in the kitchen because it tends to look yellow under certain lighting/lack of lighting.

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sara I agree a cooler white would be better. My dilemma is that the trim in the rest of my home is the dove white and the kitchen is fairly open to the rest of the space so I was hoping to coordinate it.
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Decorators on the right. White dove below. Decorators is too bright for me. White dove too warm. Any other input on whites?
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Whites can be so challenging to see on a monitor. Maybe it is just my monitor.. But I still like the dove white But I am only an expert in my own home. Here are a few great links that talk about whites....

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-6-best-paint-colors-to-coordinate-with-marble/

http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/2015/02/guide-white-paint.html

http://beckiowens.com/white-paint-guide/

My personal favorite is white with no pigment at all. When I remodel a kitchen, and give it that fresh new look, I almost always choose “white white.” It’s the secret to getting the bright white that goes perfect with my favorite white marbles. Becki Ownes

I hope you find the right white. I like to layer whites and even texture which can change the coolness too, And of course lighting can make a warm look cool or a cool look warm. I am sure someone will come up with an idea for you that is not warm and not cool but just right.

~boxer

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Boxerpal I keep going back to the white dove. I am just so paranoid. A friend of mine has it in 3 different rooms of her home and it looks white in one place and yellow in another and even different based on sheen i the same room. I appreciate your reassurance that it is a good white with the marble look. Design is not my thing! If only I knew a paint/color consultant in the boise area.
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gosh E D, I only know what works for me. And you are NOT paranoid. I totally understand. I spent months trying to find the right cabinet color in my last reno. And it wasn't white dove. I used a Behr Paint called Powdered Snow that was a soft warm white, Much better for a dark graphite virginia jet mist honed counter. That was a great color but I think for Marble you need a cooler color. If White Dove is too warm, Keep searching.... And be sure you check out links on lighting in a kitchen.

But I digress.. if you are worried about too warm PLEASE read this past post... white cabinets look yellow. help

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/white-cabinets-look-yellow-dsvw-vd~5224453[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/white-cabinets-look-yellow-dsvw-vd~5224453)

Here is another link to tell you which Whites not to use... Goodness it is stressful. Who knew there were so many whites,.......

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2014/03/26/great-shades-white-paint/

My plan is to go white dove for my trim as my cabinets are already painted from the Cabico company called Latte which is a soft white. The rest of my house will have white dove trim paint. And lighting bring cool white to counteract any yellow.

This is not my photo below it is from a site called https://somedayilllearn.com/picking-white-paint/

someday I'll learn blog that talks about Behr Paint. I used the bottom one in my past kitchen.

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Boxerpal interestingly enough the first post “why do my white cabinets look yellow” has the same quartz we are using!
  • K R
    6 years ago
    Why don’t you paint a wall right next to the cabinets with one and see how you like it before you make the commitment for the cabinets. That’s what I did with dove white and it looked toooo yellow in my kitchen area in general due to lack of a ton of natural light and also my kitchen window faces north so I rarely get any actual sun in there. Colors look very different in different rooms.
  • cac546
    6 years ago
    I love Benjamin Moore White (PM-2/OC-151). Definitely less start than Decorator's White but still decidedly not warm.
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I picked up a sample of vanilla milkshake (oc59) and I am liking it. A little warm but not as much as white dove and less stark then the decorator white. Photo below.
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

ED, I am so glad that you found that link. Lighting has such an effect on white paints. I just learned this reading that same link. I too am very worried about this in my own space. I am just so glad that link was helpful to you. I plan to stick with my BM Dove White but I fully understand trying to find the right white for the space. Buy a few tiny sample cans and paint away until you find the perfect white.

~boxer

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Vanilla milkshake.
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Boxerpal I love the dove white. It’s just not working in my space
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Totally understand. Get what works, your space will look gorgeous when all the details fall into place.

• Elle
    6 years ago
    I adore BM Chantilly Lace. It looks clean and crisp but not starke. I think an off-white could look dirty against the bright white specs often found in quartz. You could also do something with a bit more obvious color, something like BM American White
  • K R
    6 years ago
    It’s creamy - nice but definitely like a vanilla milkshake (what a fitting name!). Are you going for that look?
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes. The decorator white was too bright for me though the tones looked great with the quartz. I wanted warm but the dove white was too yellow for me too. I love the soft greens on cabinets too but could not find one that worked on each of the walls. I am planning on taking your advice and painting a larger area on each of the walls. Then onto the backsplash obsessions
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

ED, get ready for this... I am NOT using Dove White after all. I was at BM today and am my cabinets are a Simply White OC 152. I thought in my mind because I have used Dove White before that was the white I needed. Boy was I wrong. I am back to the drawing board and going to check out Chantilly White BM and Oxford White BM.

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Go figure boxerpal! I am curious about chantilly white also and may be checking out that one soon also. Let me know what you think of it in your space. Simply white is beautiful too!
  • teammcguire1
    6 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what is your counter top choice (name & brand)!? I love the sample above that you posted! Thanks!

• E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you! It’s sequel quartz “Bianco venatino”
  • suseyb
    6 years ago

I am using Vanilla Milkshake in our kitchen. It faces north and has no windows. I also looked at Chantilly Lace, which was too stark for me, and Swiss Coffee.

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Suseyb, Chantilly was too stark? I am looking for a crisp white.. I still need to test some samples. I am painting built in bookcases in a formal living room. Using lots of blue willow china, a soft gray blue drape, taupe gray furniture with dark woods and dark chocolate floors. I was told Chantilly would be better with cool blues and give a sharp clean look. Hoping it might be a fit for me.

• Elle
    6 years ago
    boxerpal... I think whites are really something you need to check out in your specific room. I love Chantilly lace in our south facing closet with our 4000k "daylight" bulbs, but it might be a bit cool in a North facing room? Here it is in my closet and also as trim in my mom's home.
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Suseyb you used vanilla milkshake on cabinets? Would you mind sharing pictures?
  • E D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Elle- the chanting white looks great there. Will check it out too.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Elle, that is beautiful. Yes, you are so correct at a ED can attest too. Finding the best white is to sample it first. I would be using it, in a west facing area of the house... ummmm need to sample it all out.

Thanks again for that pretty picture.

• suseyb
    5 years ago

E D - We are in the process of putting the vanilla milkshake on our cabinets, still priming. The color was recommended by one of the women at my paint store. We had it made into Fine Paints of Europe Eco Satin.

boxerpal - Yes, Chantilly was way too stark in our room. I also tried Swiss Coffee, but it wasn't right. When comparing the vanilla milkshake and the chantilly, it's obvious that the chantilly is a much cooler white.

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So after all that, I think I am going with chantilly lace. It somehow looks bright and white but still soft. Thanks so much for all the input.
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    make sure to show us how it turns out!
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

Beautiful!

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Fantastic! Love the color you chose with the light wood floors, cabinet style, hardware, counters and backsplash. Gorgeous white on white on white... that layering of white colors to create a clean and elegant space.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    Wow I love it! So clean and bright but also so homey!
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    Would you mind sharing what the dining room color is? Appears to be such a nice subtle gray.
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s Benjamin Moore pale oak :) It is a warm gray.
  • Val B
    5 years ago
    Beautiful! Enjoy!
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

E.D. that is the color we are 95% sure we are going with Pale Oak.. we also love Balboa Mist BM.. We will make this decision later on in August. Glad it all worked out and so happy to see that color on an image.

thank you

• Jennifer T
    5 years ago

Do you mind sharing the colour and brand of backsplash tile? Is that a glass tile or subway tile? I have a similar kitchen and love this look. Thanks so much

• suseyb
    5 years ago

Love love love the kitchen! So bright and pretty.

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I got the back splash at the tile bar online. I think it was called Lancaster Bianco. 3x6 porcelain subway tile. Glad you like it!
  • Jacki Levine
    9 months ago

ED, I love your quartz (I know this is many years later!). Can you please tell me the name of it and are you still happy with it? Thanks.

• E D
    Original Author
    9 months ago
  • E D
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Bedrosians tile and Marble…Polished Quartz Slab in Bianco Venatino

• Jacki Levine
    9 months ago

ED, thank you. The funniest thing is there's a good reason I like it -- I used that same exact quartz in my bathroom in Florida a few years ago and I still love it. Now I'm looking for a quartz for an island in a condo in Boston and I want a bit of gold in it to pick up the perimeter cabinets and the floor. But I may just use this again! Thanks!