SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

This may be part of why my potted roses from Lowes don't make it....

lkayetwvz5
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

After several days of shovel pruning a couple things have become painfully obvious! I bought quite a few 'potted' roses from Lowes the past several years and most of them have not done very well. I know they are just bare roots stuffed in a pot with some mulch/soil and a handful of fertilizer and watered until they bloom but geez! Stuffed is the key word here! The first pic is of Kordes Parfuma 'First Crush'. The roots are literally folded in half! I planted it straight out of the pot two years ago. It didn't do much the first year. Most canes dead over winter but a few shoots came up but dwindled away shortly after the summer heat hit. There are absolutely no feeder roots. Second pic is of 'Summer Romance'. You may have to look closely but there are two big roots folded completely in half. Died back this winter although it did have feeder roots. Third pic is of 'Dark Desire'. Again roots are folded up and wrapped around the main and still has the pot shape even though it has been planted in the ground. I don't want to dig too much to show you as it has feeder roots and is actually still alive at this point so I potted it back up until I can find a bigger pot to try and straighten those roots out. Does this mean we have to unpot the roses we buy, wash away the dirt and straighten the roots for success?

Comments (10)