SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Frill Top Drapery - Backing Band - Advice/Photos Please

Laurie
6 years ago

I am assisting my Dd in making drapery. She wants a header to be a "frill top" "cottage pleat" "gathered heading with Stand Up Frill" style. These drapes will be functional and center draw. They will be lined and interlined. The interlining feels like soft flannel pj material. The drapery finished length will be 102". We are sewing 1-1/2 widths of (54" fabric) together for each panel.

My concern is that the drapery hooks & the header can support the weight of the panel. Sewn together, the three layers of fabric (102" long) are very heavy.

We are using the book: Encyclopaedia of Curtains - Revised Edition (Merrick & Day). We are going to use the hand-sewn gather method. Three rows of running stitches sewn across the top of the heading & the threads are drawn up to form gathers. The hand sewn gathers are supported by a lining band sewn at the back of the heading. The backing band is also used to support pin hooks.

Our heading will be 5" (The top 3" will be the frill, the bottom 2" will be where we sew the 3 rows of gathering stitches).

In the book, Step 7 (see photo) says "To make a backing band for the heading, cut a strip of fusible heading buckram, or soft webbing, the depth of the gathers + 1/2" x the finished curtain width. Wrap lining around the buckram & iron in place".

Step 8 says "Pin the backing band to the back of the curtains, taking care to evenly disperse the gathers across the top of the heading.

Slip stitch the band in place, ensuring to catch every gather pleat to prevent the gathers from moving. Insert pin hooks along the buckram band every 4-5".

P.S. I've made drapery in the past, but never with this type of header. Dd likes the soft look of this hand-gathered heading.

Do you have drapery with a similar header (top of the drapery)? Is it functional (opened & closed regularly)? Does it have a backing band to support the gathers, the hooks/drapery pins, & the overall weight of the drapes? Can you share photos (front & back) of the header (especially the back where the hooks are inserted)? If you made the drapes, can you give me advice?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets