SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthew_suchodolski

First Home—Need Basically Everything!

Matthew Suchodolski
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My wife and I have purchased our first home and we're very excited to move in very soon but we need to furnish the house. Right now, we're looking to do the master bedroom, dining room, living room and my office loft.

I'm pretty content purchasing this dining room set.I would replace the fabric chairs for two more of the wood style. I would also order 4 of those chairs bar stool height for the island in the kitchen.

For the bedroom, I like this set or this bed specifically. I don't know if my wife will let me continue the flooring into our master as it hurts her feet so I think I'd have to go darker for the bedroom set due to the lighter carpet. Here's some shots of the master:

I love the grey the previous owner has, and wouldn't mind going with the first set and adding some color somewhere and also moving that dresser to the left caddy corner to not block the windows.

For the living room I was thinking this couch set, and either a table set like this or this. I'd probably put the table on some type of colored carpet to break up the monotone palette. We would need a TV stand also. Here's the way the living looks now with the previous owners items. I would move the love seat between the two windows.

For my loft office I'm out of ideas. I would probably need a full set of items. Here's the space.

On the opposite side is a wall the runs until probably to the start of the window behind the rocking chair. I need a good table (long--my current is a door made to be a table), comfortable chair and knickknacks for the area. Maybe a round table or square to have meetings where the rocking chair is, perhaps a small couch. I don't want the space to feel empty or bland. I will spend so much time in this area I need it to feel just right.

All of the areas need some type of dressing/knickknacks. Hopefully someone can help me with this, I'm just not a designer like this and I want our space to be what we dreamed it would be. This house has been a long time in the making and I want it to be just right.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (56)

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some items can wait and others can't really. I do need a bedroom set, we don't have many items for a living room and my office can use what I currently have. I know that once we decide some items are 2-3 months out meaning we don't have all of the time in the world to decide in a way. I might call a designer but I just don't think I can afford that.

• Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    Designers can be quite pricey. Even just buying furniture on your own can be expensive. You can always do what I do and get a pinterest account (free) and find inspiration and your style on there :) . My pictures are just for inspiration the wall colors and all that can be any color just furniture-wise I thought those were nice glad you liked them too
  • Related Discussions

Our first 'old' home - need some help

Q

Comments (8)
    Redbirds, If it will make you feel better, try ripping up the carpet in a concealed place (closet) and see what you see. Perhaps you won't miss it if you pull it all up, and it certainly counts as "cleaning" in my book. Also included in my definition of "cleaning", is painting, though you might obliterate some clues to former features by painting over them. If you pull wallpaper, be sure to keep samples. If your house is very old(pre-20th c.), be cautious about removing wallpaper though. There may be very interesting lower layers, that are worth investigating before tossing them. With landscaping, you won't be able to tell what you've got until you've been through an entire year. A very good thing to do about landscaping at this time of year is make an accurate scale plan. (You don't need a professional survey; you can do it just by running measured lines from a couple of known points until you've got the dimensions down. Then locate everyother point off of your markers.) Use the time in the winter to identify all woody plants, and mark on the plan. Buy a bunch of plant labels and begin, as early as you can, labeling everything you find, and marking it on the plan. Be cautious about early weeding and garden cleaning if you are new gardener as many things may look like weeds at first. Better to let a weed grow than yank out something you didn't recognize. If I'm working in an unfamliar climate or garden I also make a "parking" space where I can transplant anything I'm not sure of and can't identify enough to know whether it's a keeper. Most times, it is just a weed, but you never know and that has saved my bacon a few times. Molly~
    ...See More

7 Basic Plots. 3 Basic Palettes?

Q

Comments (76)
    Susie, Thanks for asking. It was a fabulous trip. Very memorable in many ways. Riding elephants, petting tigers, the people, the architecture. Each of us had a digital camera and we have 5,000 photos to sort through and edit! ( I always make photobooks when we travel). Already planning our next trip(s). Actually I have planned our next five trips; it's a bit of a hobby of mine. As for the beachhouse ... total frustration. Turns out the driveway is not on the property; it has crossed through abutters for 100 years. The estate we are buying form has been unsuccessful in getting it resolved and may need to go to court. We can't close until it is settled since you cannot sell landlocked property. We are keeping an eye out for an alternative but we want something very specific and not easy to find. And we aren't willing to settle. As I told the agent, we don't need a third house, for goodness sakes, so we won't buy it unless we find it compelling! Julie, Thanks for the link. Which one? Or all?
    ...See More

First time home buyer. Need help with power tool

Q

Comments (15)
    Based on your three choices, I would probably pick the Dewalt, but also decide if any of the combo deals might be useful. For example, a circular saw is very useful if you are going to need to cut any type of lumber (2x4's, plywood, etc.). I have also found a reciprocating saw very useful for house demo work, and for work around the yard (trim branches, cut tree roots while digging, etc.). Brushless will usually last longer on a battery charge, and should require less maintenance, but the standard motors are fine for work around the home. For an initial set I would probably pick the drill and circular saw combo, since it also appears to include two batteries and a charger. If you want a drill that is more compact, I purchased the Makita 18v brushless subcompact drill as part of a set that included the drill, impact driver, charger and two batteries. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Sub-Compact-Brushless-Cordless-2-piece-Combo-Kit-Driver-Drill-Impact-Driver-2-0Ah-CX200RB/207051121  I was constructing an addition to my house, and found the impact driver to be really useful for driving long screws of all types. Bruce
    ...See More

Please help! New to me home needs a refresh. Dark cabinet dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    Please don’t paint the cabinets!! They look gorgeous and modern. We are building and I chose espresso cabinets and white quartz counters. Contrast makes a house look nice IMO.
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    6 years ago

I like the dining set you linked to.

What about window treatments? Is the previous owner leaving the current ones or are you starting with bare windows?

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

You have a beautiful space to work with. I always try to avoid " sets" of furniture. That is not a look that I prefer. Could you get a bed , a coordinating dresser or chest, and some nightstands?. I think that nightstands either should match or at least be the same size and color.. I would get a sofa and a pair of matching chairs ( matching each other but not the sofa). And fir the sake of us old, tradionalists, please do not get gray! There is so much more in the world than gray.

You are fortunate that in this day and age you can find millions of pictures of rooms that you like. You can then decide what you might want to replicate , and even try to find those items on a budget. Once you choose a sofa/chairs look for a rug. The rug can then lead you to colors for future purchases.

I always check Craigslist for dining tables. Many people are getting rid of their beautiful solid wood tables in order to get one of " those big honkin' fake farm tables". Once you have the table look for chairs of your choosing.

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They are leaving the window treatments, at least from what I remember in the contract.

And I did like grey couches haha. I'm sick of looking at so many items at this point and not being able to visualize it in the space, that part of the process is not working. I've reached out to some designers and am awaiting their thoughts as well.

• Micki-Micki
    6 years ago

I would slow down and work very closely with my wife on all of the ideas. She has to live there.

I would also strongly encourage not buying "sets" or "build a rooms" of furniture and get the highest quality that the budget can allow.

Enjoy your home!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Have a look at an on-line design site with very reasonable prices, with three rates depending on how much help you need called Havenly. You send them pictures of your space and what your style is, and what items you want/need. You can first chat with a designer on-line, which is free, and they can give you suggestions as to which designers would be a good fit for your style and how to proceed further. I actually did some redecoration just based on the suggestions I was given for free during the chat, and would not hesitate to use their services if I should need further help. I find this to be a much more comfortable and safer way to go, after a very negative experience with a "live" designer, although some higher-end furniture stores have in-house designers, and there I had one positive and one less than positive experience. It all depends on which designer you choose, but fortunately the second "good" one stepped in when the first turned out to be less than helpful.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

I think you have excellent taste and I fully understand the desire to just dive in, especially if you have waited so long. Still, I would not rush to furnish. You need to think of your furniture as an investment, just as your home is. You waited a long time for this and need to take care with not going wild at this point.

Sets are usually not a good investment. Think of fast food. What you are looking at is fast furniture. Fast food fills you up immediately but is pretty junky. Same with fast furniture. They are made for an impulse buyer or one who wants everything to match regardless of quality and regardless of whether it is appropriately sized for the room.

Spending $6 - 8 k to furnish your home is a tight budget but not unreasonable. However, just buying a bunch of sets for that much money is going to leave you with likely poor quality and just having to spend more in four years when it starts to fall apart.

Think about long term investment items first:

A good mattress (do you already have one to use?)

A quality sofa. I would get two long sofas rather than a love seat. Love seats are not useful in my opinion.

A quality dining table and chairs.

Get a quick buy that will make you feel satisfied:

Kitchen stools

As far as paying for a designer, it just doesn't seem likely that you will find one for your budget. No worries. People on houzz will provide so much great advice, you don't need one! You've come to the right place.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked Kendrah
  • Jennifer K
    6 years ago

Congrats on your new house! Now, unless you're both moving out of your parents' houses, you likely have some furniture. It may not be pretty, but it's already paid for. When you close on a house, almost always you discover some urgent needs that you weren't aware of-- e.g. a lawnmower. You will have a lot of unforeseen expenses in the first few months of home ownership- to the point where Home Depot may feel more like home than your house!

So live with your old stuff for a while and just buy the minimum. If you haven't lived together before, then you need to develop a style together. Buy a good mattress and box-spring, but put it on a standard metal frame (about $40 from the mattress store) and wait to buy your bedroom set. Then you'll be able to buy whatever headboard or footboard you want when you see the perfect one at the perfect price. And you'll know that she likes tall dressers and you like wide ones (or whatever).

There are many advantages to furnishing your home incrementally.

1. 1. you don't make yourself crazy trying to decorate and move at the same time.
    2. 2. you get to know your house, its traffic patterns, its lighting moods, what you use and what you don't.
    3. 3. you get a new "present" every month or two instead of a giant extravaganza and then nothing.
    4. 4. you have money for contingencies.
    5. 5. each piece you buy will be well thought out and meet your evolving needs.
    6. 6. your house will be personal instead of looking like you bought the showroom.
    7. 7. you'll get better prices since you're not on a timeline.
    Matthew Suchodolski thanked Jennifer K
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Some inspiration. Exciting times ahead
  • User
    6 years ago

I know exactly where you are at. I was in the same space eighteen months ago. Divorced and living in a brand new state, city and home. I knew nobody (still don't actually) and had zero furniture, except for a bed/mattress that would be for the guest room. I had two TVs (and no cable or wifi yet), an aero bed, my clothes and the dog. Oh I also had artwork from my home before the divorce.

From what I can see you have excellent taste. I didn't feel the need for a designer, I knew what I liked and went ahead and ordered it. But another ear might be the way to go for you. Some designers charge a by the hour rate for a consultation. Or maybe you just need a flat number of hours from a designer to put all your thoughts and desires into an ordered action plan.

I didnt wait, I absolutely needed furniture. I managed to furnish this little place without ever setting foot in a store, everything was done online. I didn't and don't have tons of money so budget was a concern for me. Ashely Furniture, Joss and Main, Wayfair, Overstock and Houzz were some of the stores I ordered from. Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target, Amazon were other places that I acquired things like pots and pans, flatware, cups and plates, those mundane things that are essential.

Stay confident, you and your wife can do this. And huge congratulations on your purchase.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked User
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    More ideas. I think going with softer colours would look nice. Soft throws, sheep skin rug over ottoman at end of bed otherwise the room could look quite masculine. I do like your furniture choices. Just remember big art pieces
  • User
    6 years ago

Irene I furnished my bedroom with Ashley in some of those colors. I even have a few of those same pillows. Pillows are my thing lol. I LOVE it.

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone so far! The response has been fantastic. I just finished work for the night, but am pouring through everything. A bit of background, my wife and I have been married for almost 14 years and I'm the step father of our two children. My son will be departing soon as he's 20 and my daughter is turning 16 May 1st. So we've accumulated a lot but I'm ready to start over in terms of furniture. We haven't acquired furniture with the idea of furnishing our own place; ever.

Now that I've been working incredibly hard with my business we've finally been able to secure a house. Something we wouldn't have dreamed possible years ago. It's way more special than anyone will ever know to be honest.

But anyway, I'm still torn. It seems like I'll buy the dining room set with the bar stools because I checked it out in a store and absolutely loved it. I guess I will try to keep reading articles and going off of what everyone here suggests and try to find something that works. Or create some pieces that at least compliment each other. It is a bummer to move in and then keep moving in so-to-speak.

I also know I would be getting inferior items but my wife and I have had a sleigh bed from Big Lots for 10+ years. That thing has been amazing. Still ticking; it was only $350, new! I'd love a multiple thousand dollar setup but I don't know if it's warranted to be fair. I'm open to information but from what I've seen over a certain price the product is at least a 10+ year item correct me if I'm wrong as I am new. But the bed is a champ!

• loobab
    6 years ago

Hi Matthew-

About the dining set-

Did you sit up straight in the wood chair at the table for 15 minutes? Were you comfortable?

And, did you sit at the table at the head of the table?

I am wondering if that big X truss under the table at the head of the table where you will be sitting will get in the way of your legs, and that will be very uncomfortable for you and your wife at the other end.

If you haven't specifically checked that out, please go back to the store.

Also, how wide is the table? Is it 36" or 45"?

A 36" table is just not wide enough for people eating on both sides and the serving dishes of food.

Does that table expand? In that picture it seats six. That's not very big. That is only you and your wife, your two kids when they are home on vacation, and two of their friends. What about when they want to invite their boyfriend's parent's, etc?

I would suggest getting a table that can expand to seat 10, and getting the extra 4 chairs.

Yes, it is extra money, but in the long run, it is more important than bar stools, if you can't afford both.

Bedroom Set-

That grey bedroom set is very rustic. Is that the look you are going for?

Is that the look your wife wants?

Also, with the panels covering the lower part of the mattress, that bed is a little difficult to make. Do you need those panels covering the lower part of the bed?

Are those drawers? Or just panels covering the box spring?

The single bed is also rather rustic.

I wouldn't want any furniture from which I could get a splinter.

Especially a bed. We're naked in bed!

Living room Furniture-

No marble tables, They are terribly heavy! How will they be moved to vacuum/sweep on a regular basis?

I would advise against a loveseat. No two adults want to sit that close to each other. If you have the room, get two sofas. If not, get a sofa and two chairs. If you have lots of room, two sofas and two chairs.

Yes, get a carpet to put on the floor, but it needs to be larger than the one shown in the photo. It should be large enough so that six inches of carpet should be under the front of the sofa and chairs.

The type of carpet I would suggest would be a genuine handmade Oriental carpet, such as hand-knotted Persian or a hand-woven kilim or some type of nomadic carpet.

You could get the same type of rug for the bedroom, not a wall to wall carpet.

The size rug for the bedroom should be:

9x12 rug to hold the entire bed, the nightstands, and a bench at the foot of the bed.

8x10 rug to hold the entire bed, the nightstands, but no bench.

8x10 rug to hold the bottom two-thirds of the bed and a bench.

If a wood floor hurts your wife's feet, then she can get a great pair or two of memory foam house slippers with thick soles (and maybe some insoles.)

Matthew Suchodolski thanked loobab
  • Kendrah
    6 years ago

My feeling, and I may be wrong, but a headboard set doesn't see as much wear and tear as other items. Your mattress, and boxsprings if you use them, are what really take the beating in a bed. In my experience, a headboard set is just more a decorative prop to the bed.

Dining room chairs, sofas, arms chairs. Those items take your full weight directly on the surface of the furniture. They loosen, creak, decompress, and torque in ways that a headboard and foot board won't. Those are items to invest in.

I agree with loobab that it is very smart to test drive dining room chairs. Sit in them for a white. Shift your weight from side to side. Turn them upside down and see how they are constructed. What joinery techniques are used? How comfortable is it to sit on a non-upholstered chair at the table? Are there any large sized people in your family and will the chair take their weight? If you don't have a lot of people over for big holiday meals then I might not worry too much about an extendable table. And lord knows, many of us probably grew up with a card table "extension" to a dining room table and are just fine for having done so!

It sounds like Louise is a champ for making it work in a really hard situation, what some might call a crisis situation. Just note that it sounds like you are not in a crisis. You don't need to buy under stress. I get that you want to dive into decorating your new home. I never thought I would own a house either. I moved into my first one five years ago and although I had huge impulses to dive in and get it in order immediately, it just wasn't reality. It has evolved over time with pieces found here and there.

Invest in a quality sofa and arm chairs, or two sofas. Get a good table and chairs. Fill in the other pieces around that from deals you find at Big Lots, craigslist, Memorial Day sales, Ikea, etc. Maybe give yourself a timeline that you will pick everything out within six months and have it all together in around 8 to 9 months. It might sounds like a long time, but in the grand scheme of how long you have waited to buy a house, it is just a blink. Remember, you home is a really special place and you should do it justice!

Additionally, ask for advice on here about different brands before you buy them. Lots of people will give feedback on houzz that is far more reliable than what you will find on a store's review page.

• oaktonmom
    6 years ago

Re the dining room set...I think people sitting at either end of the table you’re interested in would be uncomfortable with their knees hitting the legs of the table. Your taste seems to run on the rustic side but the style of living furniture seems more transitional and the coffee table more contemporary. Please don’t buy ‘sets’ of anything. For now I’d get some bar stools and eat in the kitchen until you’ve figured out dining room furniture. You need a sofa and 2 chairs or 2 sofas.....nothing else in living room right away. All you need in the bedroom now is a bed or mattress on the floor until you’ve decided on the rest. Do you have any furniture where you’re living now that you can bring over to the new house?

Matthew Suchodolski thanked oaktonmom
  • loobab
    6 years ago
    Hi Matthew-
    Two more things.
    I have noticed on Houzz a difference between men and women. Not always, but often. The women are slow and careful and planning over a long time about buying their decorating purchases. The men don’t want to waste money, but when they have to buy something, they are are on a mission to get it done. Like it’s hellbent for fire and they get it done pronto and don’t quibble about a few dollars and don’t run to every store in the galaxy and don’t second guess themselves.
    I have seen threads here where women are dickering for while over a purchase and all of a sudden she’ll post a picture, “My husband went out and bought this.” And it looks great!
    Or after a longer time, “My husband wants a decision this weekend!”
    Of course these are generalizations, I just find it interesting. Vive la difference!

Next thing-
    Please make sure to carefully measure your room and the things you buy. And still think about only buying thing that are 100% refundable. Sometimes things just aren’t right when you get them home in proportion to the house or the other furnishings or they don’t fit in the door or around the corner of the stairway. And sit in everything, like the living room chairs and sofas. Comfort is very important.
  • Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For the dining room table the seats at the head of the table were acceptable. They weren't amazing but not uncomfortable where I wouldn't sit there. We've also never had a dining room table that we've used. We always converted that room into a computer room. My wife would love to have a set and invite a couple friends over. Also, the table in the dining room now is about that size and I believe any bigger would over run the space. I will measure eventually and find out but that's one piece that I was pretty happy with. It could be more varied with different color chairs I suppose but I liked it.

For the living room I would agree with the two sofas but I'm having trouble with the space. To fit a full size couch between the windows might not be a thing.

That was the main reason for a love seat. And I don't particularly like chairs and think it would be a bit weird in the space.

I've also taken to heart--no sets. I'm working on visualizing my space with items so I've done this.

It's terrible but now I know that's not a good look so far. If I have pictures of the space empty it would be very helpful and I will be able to do that before we move in. I feel like that space is the wrong color and I wish it had the flooring.

In regards to style, I love modern but our space isn't a NYC loft and that's what I mostly see with that styling. Rustic is great as well but I don't want it to overrun the house. Truth be told I wish our space looked like an NYC loft.

Any more tips would be great, I think I need a color palette but don't even know how to decide on one for the bedroom or any other room.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Matthew-

If you can photo graph the entire living room from all angles and give measurements, then it will be easier for Houzzers to recommend furniture and furniture placement vis a vis the windows, room entrance, etc.

What is the reason you don't like chairs? Are they not comfortable for you? Are you a big person? Do you think you won't get enough people in the room that way?

You will rarely get two people to sit on a love seat, that is why people don't recommend a loveseat and recommend two chairs instead. A good chair is large enough to seat a large man, and you need to try it out and make sure it is comfortable. And of course, the higher quality, the more comfortable and sturdy.

As for style, maybe you can't do totally modern in that house, but you can do contemporary.

For inspiration, why don't you look at google images for contemporary living room, and modern living room ( they are different stylistically) and see what pops up that you like.

Save those images and make note of what specifically you like about each them, whether it is the colors, specific pieces of furniture, specific accessories on the tables, the artwork, the lamps, etc.

Save them in your computer, and put them in here, so we can see them and know what your style is and can better make suggestions for you.

Do that for contemporary bedrooms too. And modern bedrooms too.

Doing this will help solidify your style in your mind.

Another thing I just thought of-

Memorial Day is coming up and stores have big sales. And JUly 4th after that. Do your research about your style and needs now, then check out the various stores and what they have and their prices. Then you can go to those stores at sale time and get some great deals and maybe even negotiate even better deals. Some stores even offer decorator service, although I don't know how good those are. You can bring your photos of your house into those places and they can sometimes upload photos of their furniture into your space.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Matthew, how exciting for you and your wife. A home of our own is the dream for most of us.

I have to agree with everyone else. I know the feeling is that you want everything and you want it...NOW, but please hold off. It sounds like you have perfectly adequate furniture to get you started.

What I'd do is paint any rooms that need updating and cull through those things you absolutely intend to give away or throw away and those that could work...for now.

I'm moving from a condo to a larger and brand new house I designed and much of the stuff won't work. What I did was keep my bed for now, but replaced our sofa. I did that because the style didn't fit the new house but also because neither DH nor I ever found it comfortable.

I know my living room rug will be too small for the new space, but I'm going to use that in the master bedroom instead. I'll wait until I find just the right rug for my living room.

I'll live with the rest of my old furniture until I find a piece I want to replace it with.

What I did was make sure the bones were right from the beginning. Meaning all lighting fixtures and any built ins I wanted.

In the meantime please do as suggested and start "mood" boards for each room in your house of new pieces you'd like to get. Also start idea books here on houzz with rooms you like, furniture you like, etc.

Personally, I'd rather hold off and buy one or two quality pieces than buy a full set of stuff that won't hold up over time. As you see something that you love, then buy it. A house that evolves over time always looks better put together than one that is a room in a bag.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked cpartist
  • Kendrah
    6 years ago

"Truth be told I wish our space looked like an NYC loft." Now you are on to something Matthew! Say more about what features and looks you like in a NYC loft. We can run with those descriptions and suggest some good layouts and key pieces. And, we can help find lots of inspiration photos. No, your home is not a NYC loft, but you can still find plenty elements that will transition well in your space and give you that kind of vibe.

So, what adjectives come to mind when you say NYC loft?

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

Matthew -

Here are some quick search pics for NYC loft style. I don't know if any of these begin to capture the vibe you are describing. Are there some elements of these we could go off of to help you figure things out?

Interior Design featuring DLB rugs · More Info

Loft · More Info

Contemporary Family Room · More Info

Franklin Street Loft - Kitchen · More Info

Chelsea Loft, New York, NY · More Info

My Houzz: From a Bakery to a Cool Loft in Brooklyn · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Loobab,

I'm not big at all. 5' 11" at 165lbs. But I dislike chairs. I feel like in that area they don't fit well. The walls beg for two couches, I think chairs just throw the vibe off in a way. It's a personal taste thing I guess? I don't mind if they are elsewhere but it doesn't seem like they fit that area. It's possible I haven't seen the area laid out well enough and it would work fine.

Also, I will absolutely take pictures and measure when possible!

Kendrah,

Here's my take on the pictures.

Interior Design featuring DLB rugs

I enjoy the white space and how large it makes the area feel. The furniture is too out there for me but I enjoy the large painting to the right and the smaller ones in the middle.

Loft

Exposed ducting makes it feel like a loft, I do enjoy that but know it's not a thing for ours. The design work on the walls is beautiful and I love the black lights. The couch is a bit out there and the huge windows are goals.

Contemporary Family Room

I don't like the color of the walls and the furniture/layout doesn't feel good to me. I do like the black tables but otherwise this one is a big pass.

Jane Kim Design

This one doesn't feel bright or vibrant enough. I think the brick mixed with the wood suppresses the loft/bright white modern vibe.

Chelsea Loft, New York, NY

Love this one a lot! I don't love the shape of the couch but love the color, they have just enough pops of color all over with the lights, painting and doors. It's great. I hate the carpet though, a white carpet would have been amazing or something to match the styling on the pillar.

My Houzz: From a Bakery to a Cool Loft in Brooklyn

Same issue with the contemporary family room, not enough white. Feels too red/orange overall. More white and pops of green from plants would have been great. I would have painted the brick, you guessed it, white.

Contemporary Living Room

Looks like another view of the one I wasn't fond of. Still the same issue, I feel like the colors don't appeal to me.

• User
    6 years ago

I just need to note that my situation was not a "crisis". I knew what I wanted, I had a little money and I am not the most patient person. I like to get it done. And not slowly. I think that "getting it done" was one of my strengths in raising a large family. Furnishing a home seemed like small potatoes to be honest. I just wanted to let you all know :)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

The point of all the pictures posted by others is the looks were not matchy-matchy, but instead looked like the rooms have evolved over time. Start with a few major pieces based on what you like and then slowly add to that as you find additional pieces.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked cpartist
  • Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fair enough.

I wanted to try my hand at using my tastes and "designing" something. I played with the entryway.

I wanted to go modern/minimalist and came up with this

The tabletop items need help but it's got the bright colors to match the painting etc. And naturally I'm not in the space so this is just a thought but is this the kind of the way to go. Start building, inspect the space and ultimately verify everything with measurements and go forward one section at a time?

*It might look a bit more like this with the current flooring/colors (added a rug).

It keeps evolving, I guess this is what every means it will grow with time.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Hi Matthew-

Based on your comments on the rooms above,

You like your rooms uncluttered, the furniture to have clean lines, but be comfortable and not look like they are from a 23d century space ship from another galaxy.

You like the warmth of wood, and you like other materials as well.

You like white walls, and you like bright color in art and accessories.

Does that sound correct?

I think your style is contemporary and mid-century-modern.

(And remember, not every piece in the room has to be of that period, it is more interesting and original to mix it up.)

If you do a google image search for those terms, and mid-century modern living room you will find a myriad of rooms that will have things that you like, overall feel, specific furniture pieces, and artwork, and accessories.

Check out this link-

https://www.digsdigs.com/tag/contemporary-living-room-designs/

For example,

Here are a few that may have colored walls and different color schemes than the ones you like, and are shown here just to illustrate some of the furniture types and possibilities. Please look on your own a lot more on google, and at the above link.

You might also like some Scandinavian furniture, which mixes very well with mid-century modern.

Check out the company Room and Board. Their stuff is very good quality.

Look at West Elm, Design Within Reach, and Froy, and Noguchi.

You might like the basic tuxedo sofa, below

Also checkout classic pieces of the mid-century masters.

The above all come in different colors.

The Eames coat rack which also has a standing floor version

I show that because the literal pops of color make it a lot of fun.

• User
    6 years ago

My overall "theme" was retreat. I wanted peaceful. I knew green aqua was one of my main colors. Turquoise works well in the palate I wanted, along with mint green and grey. A lot of my stuff in not matchy matchy but some of it is. Only I move the matchy matchy stuff around so it doesn't look so matchy matchy.

Try to pinpoint a word, a feeling that you and your wife want to accomplish. Maybe it's minimalist color or modern and welcoming space. The possibilities are endless. The house will show you the direction. And it IS a beautiful house. You will make it a beautiful HOME.

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's correct loobab, I'm working if I can keep my ideas with the splash of colors in the home in terms of paint already. I'm feeling like I'll need a bit more white paint.

Here's another rendition of the entryway because I can't stop tinkering.

Louise McCarthy I'll keep working on a word but bright and cheerful is the theme with minimalism mixed in. It will be a beautiful home, eventually. I'm working on what will make it that and getting it there little piece by little piece.

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

Matthew - You have great taste and real personal style. Even more reason why it would be a pity for you to waste it on a set. You are good at this and have strong preferences. It might not take as long for you to put something together on your own as you would think!

I like Rowe sofas. They are pretty good quality for the price and very customizable. I'm curious if you visit their site and scroll through all of their 30-some sofa styles, which style appeals to you the most? Don't think about color as it is customizable, just think about the shape and detailing.

I picked the Dorsett, one that I bought for a loved one that still going very strong after 8-years use and lots of abuse, and tried it out in orange since you noted liking that color. This is just an example of how you can use their site:

If you spend some $ on painting your whole space white, purchasing a quality sofa, dining table, and chairs, I think you can fill in the rest of the space with less expensive lights, side tables, kitchen stools, rugs, and decoration from places like Ikea or wherever else.

(Honestly, I have never purchased for myself inexpensive furniture from a store. My furniture is all really high quality purchased from second hand stores or craiglist for a fraction of the price. I did purchase some pieces for an elderly family member at Ashley and Target. They and the furniture expired at about the same time! It was fine for the situation, but I'd personally rather do without for a while than spend on what felt like "throw away" furniture to me.)

Note, I have a different opinion with Room and Board quality. When I shopped for a sofa there, the sales person told me to expect 7 years or less on the duration of the sofa. I think that is pretty poor quality for the price tag. Still, their site might give you good inspiration.

Louise - Sorry for misinterpreting your situation as dire. I'm glad for you that it was not. It is very true that home furnishing is small potatoes compared to so many other life challenges, though I find it one of the most relaxing distractions and escapes from reality!

• User
    6 years ago

Oh for sure Kendrah. I LOVE puttering around and figuring out what I really really like. I just bought a new TV stand (should have it by Wednesday). I ended up buying it because a photo I took (for a response on Houzz) made my setup look really really ugly lol. Hopefully by Wednesday it will look better. As long as I don't break the damn thing. Again.

• Donald
    6 years ago
    Congrats on the house! I’d say live in the house for a bit before buying items, then you’ll be better informed about how you really want to live in it. Right now you might think, this is the perfect spot for my tv watching chair, but when you are actually sitting in it watching Westworld you might realize all the noise from the kitchen funnels into the den right there and you can’t hear what Bernard is saying without turning the volume up, or maybe the AC vent blows onto the top of your head all summer if you put the sofa in one spot, or there is too much glare on the tv and you can’t see the Orioles games in the afternoon. Better to wait and buy great than rush and buy good enough.
    Matthew Suchodolski thanked Donald
  • Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kendrah Looking at Rowe, I think I would move towards the Andee, but I think the cushions are too fluffy. I almost like the Brady, for some reason I feel like three cushions means "couch" and two just makes it feel odd. Maybe I'm use to more traditional cushion counts but I think I'll try to move forward with design changes on and accept two. I do enjoy the modern mix as well.

I assume Rowe's quality is up there; unfortunately I think they're closer to $2,000 per sofa? That's quite a bit since I'd need two probably. I was hoping to be half of that cost per sofa while maintaining adequate quality. Is that not a thing?

I took a swing at a living room mood board last night and I'm not sure. I could have been too tired and it's way out there, haven't decided.

Donald Thanks! I'm very excited; I can't wait to move in and start feeling out the space and designing.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

IKEA may be a good place to start. Sofas are inexpensive and you can get an idea on style and placement without spending a lot.

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No IKEA in the area; 4 hour drive to the nearest.

I think now that I'm awake I did a bit better on a living room mood board. Maybe?

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

IMHO, the paint color is beautiful, but does not relate to the picture or the drapes. But, maybe when it is all up, it will look good.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I like your second mood board. The only thing I find to be out of place are the drapes. They're a bit too white for the off white of the sofa on your board. Something like a bleached linen or ivory might be a better option. Be sure whatever drapes you choose are lined and wide enough and long enough to hang the rods close to the ceiling. Believe it or not, Target carries some nice blackout drapes for great prices. Half Price Drapes is a great place to look as well.

As far as two cushion sofas, most times not more than two people sit on them anyway, so two cushions are more comfortable. I also think they feel more modern. A fixed back on a sofa like the ones you're looking at also hold up better and keep their shape longer. You might take a look at Flexsteel. The quality is great. They are very light and easy to move for cleaning because of the steel framework and the quality is great. I've had mine for several years and love the way it has held up. I've also recommended them on here to two other people who purchased them and are very happy.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked katinparadise
  • Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Played a bit more with the living room, I'm struggling for a window treatment that goes better with everything, this one might work.

The painting would go over the red/orange couch so the background color in it doesn't wash out the rest of the beige on that side. I tiled the flooring and background to get a better sense of the space. I'd prefer white but the blue flows into the kitchen and the backsplash matches there. I don't know how you could really paint the rooms separate. Would be a lot of painting too.

Any thoughts on this? I might tackle the living room first because it's the room we lack the most furniture in.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

I am not sure of the color of your sofa and drapes. On my monitor, they look orange. So I Googled orange and blue art work. Wow. What neat prints. I love the first one!! Sunrise/sunset at the beach!

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+and+orange+artwork&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US746&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEnOeRgNLaAhVDOKwKHRYBAgkQsAQI-wE#imgrc=_

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

I'm loving your mood boards. You have such a playful eye and a great sense of humor to your design. The pillows are stellar. I agree you can't just paint one room in your space and it would be expensive to do the whole space, but you've found a great way of working with the blue to make it dynamic.

I'd call a Rowe dealer to get more specific about the prices. The Rowe I purchased was not $2,000 for sure. I'd also consider what the durability is of other less expensive sofas and how much it would cost to replace them more quickly if they are less durable. Less expensive sofas often use thinner inner foam in the cushions, cheaper quality engineered wood frames and joinery techniques, and lesser quality stitching. This can result in sagging cushions, wobbly arms, feet that can fall off easily, seams and welting that shift, and buttons that pop.

Before you order your sofa, make sure you get lots of feedback on discussion boards and online from people who have owned the sofa for five years or more. Some people are used to buying a new sofa every three to five years, which I think can get more expensive than purchasing a sofa that is $400-$500 more to begin with. Also, don't be afraid to ask stores if they anticipate sales coming up.

There are plenty of online tools that let you draft floor plans and move furniture around in all kinds of configurations. I adore living rooms with two sofas, but you want to make sure it is not overkill for the size of your space. Also, do you intend to watch TV in this room? Do you have an idea of what you want the layout to look like? Where would the two sofas go?

Lastly, I had a friend who drove 6 hours to Ikea and didn't regret it! No way I would do that. Just saying...

• User
    6 years ago

Marry in haste, repent in leisure.

The bitternessof poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Matthew Suchodolski thanked User
  • Kendrah
    6 years ago

Sophie is the Houzz sage. Get her input on sofas and living room arrangement.

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie Wheeler Any recommendations in regards to what I've presented in my latest board?

It would be fitting into this space

I would have the orange sofa underneath the painting and the other one (white) to the right. The painting in the picture (possibly another but I think it's awesome and it's the complimentary color to blue) would be over the orange sofa where the painting is now. I'd need to still pick out a media stand for the TV area but I think that would be about it minus some decorations. Thoughts?

• Matthew Suchodolski
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm digging the top one to tie the couch in; I might see what that looks like real quick. Thank you!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

You're welcome!

• loobab
    6 years ago
    Re: Room and Board-
    I am not recommending their upholstered furniture. The style of their side and cocktail tables and consoles and desks, etc may be congruent with Matthew’s taste and from the feedback I’ve heard, this type of R& B’s furniture is just fine.
Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer